Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool spin problem  (Read 1487 times)

Offline diverboy1980

• Technician
Whirlpool spin problem
« on: December 03, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »

Went on a whirlpool washer today about a 2005 model. Must have been a scratch and dent as the model number tag was removed. When going into spin cycle you have to spin the tub by hand to get it going and then you can stop it pretty easily with your hand so I figured weak clutch. I took the cabinet off and watched the clutch assembly spinning. I took the agitator off and made sure the drive block looked ok. I ordered a clutch for it but I hope it's not also the trans since when it was in the spin cycle it would try to agitate a little also. Guess I will find out after putting the clutch on.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Whirlpool spin problem
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 10:40:10 PM »
Did you try to hold the agitator still with your hand during the spin cycle?
If it ends up not being the clutch you should have one in stock anyway, it's a fast moving part.
AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 2 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline diverboy1980

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 10:49:36 PM »
I was able to stop the agitator with my hand. It was barely moving and easy to stop. It would actually stop moving on it's own at times without me even touching it. That is why I thought it would be worth trying a clutch before jumping straight into saying it's a bad trans. The bad trans I encountered before were really agiating alot while spinning and you couldn't stop them.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 11:06:15 PM »
I was able to stop the agitator with my hand. It was barely moving and easy to stop. It would actually stop moving on it's own at times without me even touching it.

With that being the case I think the gear case is fine and the new clutch will fix it.
AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 2 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!