Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Cabrio basket hard to remove...  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Joebeef

• Technician
Cabrio basket hard to remove...
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:21:10 PM »

Hi everyone...I had to remove a cabrio basket today that was only two years old because of coins in the pump.  I always pull the basket to see if other coins are under there.  What a pain to get the basket out!  It took about a half hour of pulling, letting go, pulling letting it go etc...once basket was removed I found the shaft of the gear case (used to be called the spin tube) that the tub slides onto was rusted about half way up from tub...you guys know what happens when rust forms, it causes a bulge in the metal which really made the basket almost impossible to remove.  I had the same call last week and that one was a little over a year old but noticed the rust starting to form already...what is going to happen on a five year old machine.  What junk they're making today! 

Anyway, is there a basket puller tool available for this?  I don't work on these often but this is the direction the industry is headed...you gotta go with the flow or get left behind.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • Caregiver, DIYer
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Cabrio basket hard to remove...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »
On PAGE 53 of the Cabrio service manual their is no mention of any tool just remove some screws and lift out the basket.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair

Offline bobby93

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
the shaft gets rusted, then the tub does not go up and down properly during cycles(called floating). Will get an error code. the whole tub/shaft assembly needs replacement with the center basket support(part with the screws). About 2 or 3 years ago Whirlpool changed the type of metal in the shaft and bearing. Still a major problem. Bearings in tub are going out in about 4 to 5 years.

Offline bobby93

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »
I meant the basket does not go up and down, not the tub

Offline Joebeef

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:10:22 AM »
bobby93...thanks for the response.  The customer called and said the machine has a code of L-8 or L-B and was wondering if this is the code you had mentioned. If so the basket is not floating because of a rusted shaft, it makes sense that it would be hard to remove also.  There is no mention of the code L-8 or L-B in the service manuals i've looked at.

Offline jabko

• VIP Member
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • http://www.jabko.com
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
Removing a Cabrio tub, if its the model cabrio with the bearing kit and seals I have had too many with hard to remove tubs, I think I might have found a solutuon, but have not tried it yet. My idea is to open the machine, remove the tub ring, remove the impeller and remove the coupler and screws, lower the top and put the machine in the manual test program. Make sure the water is off in case it goes into the auto test program and tries to fill. Once in the manual test program go to the step for slow agitate. This will begin to turn the shaft back and forth for you, then spray lube the shaft and use gloves to lift the tub up very slowly working it over the rough areas between the tub bearings where the shaft rusts and gunk accumulates.  If you have success let me know, just need to be careful the shaft does not grab the tub while lifting that's why I suggest the slo agitate cycle.........John

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 01:56:04 AM »
I have the tool.   It works great.   If you missed it,   I was the lucky winner of the drawing on this sight.    Thanks again to AJ for running this sight,   it is a fountain of good information from all the the techs we have on here.     I am always happy to contribute in any way I can here.      I have learned alot from this sight. 

That being said,   I have removed 3 stuck tubs with it so far.    I try first to remove them with out the tool before applying the tool.    In my opinion, anyone who works on Cabrio machines would be wise to get this tool.    What I do,  before installing tool on shaft,   is put a little turbine oil on the shaft.    Then,  as the tool pulls the tub,  it lubricates the shaft and the tub pulls right out.    Lets put it this way,   if I lost the tool I would buy another one right away because I wouldn't want to be without it at this point.    I am that sold on this tool.    It is built like a tank and is very durable.     Well worth the money.    The first tub you can remove and save yourself from losing a bearing job,    it pays for itself.   

So if you get 4 or 5 bearing jobs that you lose because of not having the ability to remove the tub and have to condemn the machine,    that right there is a loss of probably 1500 in profit (based on 250 profit a machine from job charging around 320).     To me it's a no brainer.     

You can get the tool at www.jays-appliance.com.     
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 04:00:14 AM »
Sat morning,  I did an Oasis bearing job and a Bravos bearing and shock job.      Didn't need the tool for either one,   but it was there if I did need it.    It's peace of mind knowing that you can complete the job no matter what.   

Offline Odyssey31

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
I agree with Wedgeman...total peace of mind and confidence builder with Jay's tool in your bag.

In a perfect world the basket will come right out, but we all know that doesn't always happen. For me, I am no longer anxious about these bearing jobs and I don't have to worry about hurting my back, damaging the machine, or looking inept in front of the customer fighting with their washer.

I think it actually shows the customer that you are truly an expert on that repair and will build that relationship for future business.

That being said, now if Jay or someone can come up with a tool that can solve the problem of removing the remnants of one of those bearings if it shatters on you...if you have that misfortune!!!

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 01:28:26 AM »
I haven't had a bearing shatter yet - that wouldn't be too bad if it did happen.   I have done alot of commercial bearing jobs and to get a broken bearing race out of the tub would not be hard.     Don't really see that a major concern.     

One thing - I use a little Syl-glide on the bearings before inserting them to be pressed in.   Make sure the bearings are going in straight before cranking the bolt on the insertion tool.     Also I use rubber gloves when using the glue on the seal.    Hard to get glue off your hands.     I have to say,   after doing many bearing jobs on many different kinds of machines,   this is really one of the easiest in the industry.     One other helpful hint,   when you take out the 3/8 inch bolts and drop the stator,    I do not remove the sensor or the wiring.    I pull out the 2 wire holding clips.  I drop the stator to the ground,   slide it to the side and cover it with a piece of cardboard and a towell (in my cabrio tool bag) to avoid damage if a bearing hits it.     Saves time,   and if you pull out plug from sensor,    you may damage it.      When re-installing Stator,  I use the rod to pound out the old bearings and jam it up to hold stator while I put in a couple of the bolts.     Saves on your arm (and mine are getting old,  need to save them).    Remember,  aways try to make a job as easy as possible.   

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 01:40:10 AM »
FYI - in regards to Cabrio bearing  jobs,   I am now keeping 2 kits on the truck,  along with 2 sets of shocks,   a drain pump,  a rotational sensor,  a lid lock,  and a basket drive hub kit.    Its good to have these parts on the truck when servicing Cabrio's.   

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 06:56:38 AM »
Well, you all know that I am biased, but this tool really does work as described. You all really should stop turning down these good money jobs and start doing bearing replacements. Its good money in about an hour. As Oddessy said - Look like a pro and pull the tub right out, don't look like an idiot jerking on the tub for 30 min or more and leave with a sore back..  Guys, this tool really works, it is a little expensive because it is made in the USA, Portsmouth, VA, not CHINA. Given the cost of production and patent, I'm still in the red.  Help me get in the black and let your friends know about it. Listen to Wedgeman and Oddessy, they use this tool regularly!  Thanks guys!  As Wedgeman said, AJ thanks for this great site. Glad to help with info when I can.

Offline Larry the applia

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 10:50:47 AM »
Jay just ordered your tool got 2 jobs coming up one stuck tub will let everyone know how works out
Larry Johnson
Shannons Appliance repair
Clarksburg, WV

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 03:44:28 PM »
Cool, you won't be sorry!