Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Chattering noise on topload Whirlpool washer  (Read 457 times)

Offline Matzie66

• VIP Member
Chattering noise on topload Whirlpool washer
« on: December 29, 2017, 08:44:58 AM »

Washer is a model# WTW5000DW1.On wash cycle the clutch gear didn,t clear the teeth on drive pulley.I ended up shimming drive pulley downwards & unit ran
okay.Have you seen or heard of this same problem before?Is there a shim kit available as I used a plastic tri-ring for the Whirlpool drum support shafts.It fit snug over
splines & seemed to work.

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: Chattering noise on topload Whirlpool washer
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »
I've only seen this once and it was caused by delivery damage to the frame and gearcase plate. I think it was caused by a long tongue of a dolly.  If you replaced the Splutch kit (part #W10721967) and it didn't help, I'm not sure adding spacers is going to be a permanent fix. Something must be wearing to allow the shaft to drop.

Offline Matzie66

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:32:17 AM »
Hi
   This is actually a brand new washer. It hadn,t done one load of laundry.If I get a callback on the washer I,ll contact Whirlpool as customer would
have liked a replacement. Also something I found was never easy to do. Thanks again for your info"""

Offline Matzie66

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »
Hi
   I never heard back from customer so I,m not sure if washer is still working or what
happened.I,m guessing something wasn,t machined just right. Thanks for info :thanks: