Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: New igniter in ge double oven not getting power  (Read 822 times)

Offline Spidey526

• VIP Member
New igniter in ge double oven not getting power
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:56:43 PM »

I just replaced the igniter in the lower oven of my GE cafe cgs990setss with a brand new one and it still won't even glow.... I know it works cause I plugged it into the upper ovens plug and turned it on and it worked fine but when I plug it into the plug it's supposed to work in it won't even glow...the range is only 1.5 years old....anyone know if there is a fuse somewhere that I'm missing that may be burnt out? ???

Offline nolazach

• Technician
Re: New igniter in ge double oven not getting power
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
No fuse.

GE anything is prone to have control board failure.  Of all boards I change the majority are GE.  The board has a relay on it that provides voltage to the igniter.   The igniter gets it's neutral from the safety valve.   I recently had a job on  a GE and I was so sure it was the control, yet it turned out to be the valve.  Point being to test before you replace.

You need a digital meter to test anything electric, if you don't have one, get one.  $20 get's you a basic one.

Now let's assume you have a meter now, because if you don't your only option is to change parts and hope it works.

With a meter check for continuity between the two top terminals of the safety valve.  (set meter to the omega symbol and you will get o.oo, if you have continuity. )

If no continuity your valve is bad and you don't have a neutral, you would need to replace the valve.

If you have continuity next set the meter for AC voltage, turn oven on and read the readings from the yellow wire to the whte wire at the igniter harness. You should have 110-120v.   If you do not, and you have continuity, then you need to replace your control board.

Yes, unfortunately controls can break at a year out.

Offline jwhezzy2003

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 09:28:24 PM »
Yeah i would first check is the back igniter getting voltage sent to it. IF its not it may not be a igniter fault. I would check the switch and board if it isn't getting power. Look at the tech sheet. If its not getting power to the igniter then I would check power at the board. see if its getting power. If it is see if it is sending out power once the selector knob/switch is turned on. If its getting and sending out the correct voltage the board is good and switch should be good. Could be a wiring issue. I would assume. (I have been in the business for 3-4 months lol so I am not a expert YET).

If you have a clamp meter check the amp draw from one of the wires going to the igniter. My trainer said it should be 3 amps or better. Anythiny thing less than 3 amps then its a bad igniter (slow to light and heat up).

Check the igniter burner that the igniter mates to and make sure its clean and free of crude and debris. That also can cause a lighting issue.

WOW I just noticed the date. This thread was started months ago lol. I sure you have figured out the problem. Any report back on the actual fix?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:30:13 PM by jwhezzy2003 »

Offline Spidey526

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 05:10:03 PM »
Ok so finally getting to this mess of a stove and I ty for the info. Have found that there is no continuity on the valve just trying to determine the part number now as I donít want to order the wrong thing

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 10:14:00 AM »
Did the replacement valve fix it?

:popcorn:

Offline Cascade

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 07:13:44 PM »
There is a service bulletin from GE about replacing the igniter and deflector kit on your model. Part number WB49X27927