Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Profile french door model pfss5njwass not cooling well  (Read 2087 times)

Offline mmieczkowski

• VIP Member

I have a GE Profile french door / bottom drawer freezer model pfss5njwass that has started acting up. Last month it stopped cooling entirely. control from the mother board to the inverter board checked out and the resistance at the compressor terminals were within spec so I replaced the inverter board. (NOTE: this is the second time I have replaced that board).

This time around replacing the inverter board only kinda fixed the problem. The unit started cooling again but it did so very, very slowly. It took all night to cool the unit back down to the correct temp and it took a very long time to cool down to set temp when in normal use. The unit was still cooling, just doing it way too slowly.

This morning, temp sensors read 16/60 F. set points are 0/37.

Cold air is felt coming out of vent inside refrigerator compartment. The refrigerator is cooling. It's just doing it too slowly to be effective. The freezer is doing a little better but it too cannot reach a cold enough temp.

I was thinking it might be the evaporator fan motor but given the symptoms I wonder if the compressor is not running correctly. The compressor feels quite hot to the touch. I suppose it is also possible that the coolant needs to be recharged. There is a purge valve on the back of the compressor so it isn't a sealed unit. could a simple recharge fix it?

funds are really tight right now, I could really use some DIY advice.

thanks!

Offline przemeku6

• Technician
    • ACE APPLIANCE
Re: GE Profile french door model pfss5njwass not cooling well
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:34:17 AM »
first thing check condenser fan motor in the back and of course condenser too. clean the condenser if you see to much dust.check condenser fan motor speed. touch the condenser to check if not too hot.if all good open the evaporator cover inside the freezer and look for frost . evaporator should be covered by even coat of frost. if you see just couple coils covered by frost or just the beginning of the evaporator with ball of snow on it - not enough refrigerant. but this is variable speed compressor and personally i don't know to much about them  , maybe someone on the forum can explain proper procedure to recharge VSC.
STAN

Offline djf0523

• VIP Member
Re: GE Profile french door model pfss5njwass not cooling well
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 04:57:06 PM »
I have a GE Profile french door / bottom drawer freezer model pfss5njwass that has started acting up. Last month it stopped cooling entirely. control from the mother board to the inverter board checked out and the resistance at the compressor terminals were within spec so I replaced the inverter board. (NOTE: this is the second time I have replaced that board).

This time around replacing the inverter board only kinda fixed the problem. The unit started cooling again but it did so very, very slowly. It took all night to cool the unit back down to the correct temp and it took a very long time to cool down to set temp when in normal use. The unit was still cooling, just doing it way too slowly.

This morning, temp sensors read 16/60 F. set points are 0/37.

Cold air is felt coming out of vent inside refrigerator compartment. The refrigerator is cooling. It's just doing it too slowly to be effective. The freezer is doing a little better but it too cannot reach a cold enough temp.

I was thinking it might be the evaporator fan motor but given the symptoms I wonder if the compressor is not running correctly. The compressor feels quite hot to the touch. I suppose it is also possible that the coolant needs to be recharged. There is a purge valve on the back of the compressor so it isn't a sealed unit. could a simple recharge fix it?

funds are really tight right now, I could really use some DIY advice.

thanks!

Having the same issue with mine.  Do you recall if you ever got this sorted out & if so what was involved, please?