Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Can't take the side clips off on wash machine  (Read 3136 times)

Offline ouelnic

• VIP Member
Can't take the side clips off on wash machine
« on: March 26, 2011, 04:07:59 PM »

Hi,

It seems easy to change the Timer on my wash machine (110.27612600) if only I could pop the side clips off... I've been trying with a flat screw driver, I don't see any screw that mean to be removed, etc. It just doesn't want to come off!!!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Nicole

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Can't take the side clips off on wash machine
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
Hi

Please post the full model number of your washer.

Sorry but 600 is not the model number.

The model number can be found on the model/serial number tag that is located on the washer.

Sears/Kenmore model numbers start with three digits, a dot and end with eight more digits.

For example the model number should look like, 123.12345678

Thanks,

Offline ouelnic

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 04:14:03 PM »
OK. On the outside of the washer it's written Kenmore 600 series. But the model number is 110.27612600.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 04:24:25 PM »
I looked up your model number and what you have is a direct drive top load washer manufactured by Whirlpool for Sears.

You will need to use a putty knife to release the clips in the front corners of the control panel before you can lift the panel up to access the timer.

This video shows you how. In the video they show you how to access all the different types of direct drive washers, but yours is the model were they are using the putty knife in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puq8jWMY9Iw

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »
I've been trying with a flat screw drive

You should use a putty knife like they show in the video.
If your screw drive is to fat it will not be able to slide far enough under the panel to release the clip.

Another way to release them style clips is to open the door and reach your hand under neath the top. Find the bottom of the clips with your hand and squeeze them with your hand as you lift the panel.

It's safer to do it with the putty knife as there are sharp things under the top you can catch your hand on easily if you don't know what your doing.
AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 2 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • Caregiver, DIYer
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 08:57:45 PM »
Although yours is a late model it still has a hollow shaft on that timer. To replace the timer yall yank out the plastic rod in the rear so that the knob and skirt can be removed. Click pic to enlarge:
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair