Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Calypso Noisy Agitation  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Washaman

• Technician
Whirlpool Calypso Noisy Agitation
« on: November 03, 2010, 07:10:12 PM »

After having this for 21 months in storage, I finally went and got it. I plugged it in to see what was wrong. After removing the rear access plate I saw what look like a sock floating around inside it. Disconnected it and removed the whole tub for access. I found 3 cloth table napkins lodged in the bottom rear check ball is located, and had to use a piece of wire with a hook to remove them. After I reassembled it I took the wash plate off and there was another one lodged inside. Removed that and reassembled and started a load. Question is: How noisy are these things supposed to be? Sounds to me like it may need the $200 dollar U-Joint kit? It is only noisy in wash mode, spin is fine. I have posted a link to one video of it running, and 4 more I am in the process of uploading. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDIfEttMXFY]YouTube[/url]

Model GVW9959KQ0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • Caregiver, DIYer
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool Calypso Noisy Agitation
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:39:28 PM »
The one I worked on was not very loud at all. Fairly quiet. There was no agitation. All mine does is slowly turn and dump water on them clothes. I defeated the u-joint removed it and closed her back up. I tried running it with the u-joint in it and it would jam the agitator against the tub and bog down the motor. Washer works really great to me without that wobble mess. Motor would not cut out anymore. That dude spins like an extractor on final spin!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:42:46 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:43:57 PM »
Thats what I figured. Guess I will keep it for a spare washer, then if I get another one I will use it for parts. Here is another video that just processed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4DGh44sN2o

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:51:21 PM »

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 07:53:25 PM »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • Caregiver, DIYer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 07:57:05 PM »
That thing has WAYYYY too much soap in it. And that was NOT the final spin. It gets faster than that. We are talking jet engine fast. I noticed it conkout halfway . You must have more stuff below the agitator.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 08:06:26 PM »
I took the agitator plate all the way out. And yes I did put to much soap in it, not thinking. I am working on my other videos. Should be ready soon, and I will post when YouTube processes them. I may have to shoot another on just spin mode. Here is the 4th installment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yf4nZx8bjo

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • Caregiver, DIYer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:12:51 PM »
What are you using to film the movies? I was wishing I had a video camera. Don't know nothin bout em.
        never grow rusty.

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:15:08 PM »
Remember that camera I sent you a link on a while back? It shoots videos too. The memory card I have in it now will record up to 19 minutes of video.