Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Centennial washer model MVWC400XW1 with s/n C11933153 Drain problem  (Read 284 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician

Today I was given this washer with the complaint that the clothes were left wet in the tub at the end of the cycle. The pump was removed and I found a fairly large hairpin inside the pump impeller area  which I presumed was not pumping out the water since the impeller was not  able to turn properly. Water could possibly drain somewhat  but it was doubtful it was able to fully drain all on the water out of the tub . It was easily removed. In the tub area I found 2 coins stuck  in the gap between the rotary wash plate between the outer section the tub. These were easily removed with some needle nose pliers .I have never worked on one of these units before and am asking
other techs  if this is a typical problem/solution on this model.

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
What does the washing machine do or not do now?

Bearcat

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
This is a fairly basic unit that Whirlpool calls their VMW line of washing machines.  If the unit won’t drain, it won’t do much, like most washing machines.  It has been their standard model for about 10 years now.  If you need more help, let me know.

Cash donations always accepted.

Bearcat
P O Box 8
Hiwasse, AR 72739

Offline Thorning

• Technician
The unit will take in water, wash the clothes ,but did not drain properly. After removing the items I found inside as described  it works much better. Personally I dont like this design as it does not churn the clothes like the units with a center post agitator. Might be OK for lightly soiled clothing or underwear but I wear CARHART pants and they get pretty dirty ! To sum it up the unit appears to work OK now but wondered if the circumstances I mentioned are typical .

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
Most common problems with this unit are drain pump, lid lock, and accuator (changes transmission from wash to spin).  Originally they had issues with the pulley coming loose, although most of those were fixed under warranty.  On some of the oldest of these models, I am starting to see broken wiring issues.  You are correct, that they do only a par job with really dirty clothes.

Cash donations always accepted.

Bearcat
P O Box 8
Hiwasse, AR 72739