Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Freezer Thermostat  (Read 382 times)

Offline dif

• VIP Member
Freezer Thermostat
« on: September 12, 2022, 03:32:39 PM »

Looking for some help with a Frigidaire Freezer. I have a FGFU19F6QFB upright freezer. The compressor fan failed so I replaced and all was good for a couple of days then I got a hi heat alarm on the display even though it showed 0 deg. The compressor was running but the condenser fan was not. Trying to catch in failed state I pulled it out and found when I moved what is referred to as a condenser thermostat on the print in the back of unit, the fan started running. I was not able to get it to fail again until about a week later when it quit and then started working again without intervention so I was unable to put a meter on it. Looking at the thermostat it would appear to be a close on rise contact. It is attached to the condenser coil. Frigidaire helpline could not identify replacement part as it is not on any part drawings.
Part number is a 297337200. My question is this necessary as I would think the only purpose would be to delay start of fan in cold climate. All my searches for this part have turned up zero. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
Re: Freezer Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 04:55:02 PM »
Looking for some help with a Frigidaire Freezer. I have a FGFU19F6QFB upright freezer. The compressor fan failed so I replaced and all was good for a couple of days then I got a hi heat alarm on the display even though it showed 0 deg. The compressor was running but the condenser fan was not. Trying to catch in failed state I pulled it out and found when I moved what is referred to as a condenser thermostat on the print in the back of unit, the fan started running. I was not able to get it to fail again until about a week later when it quit and then started working again without intervention so I was unable to put a meter on it. Looking at the thermostat it would appear to be a close on rise contact. It is attached to the condenser coil. Frigidaire helpline could not identify replacement part as it is not on any part drawings.
Part number is a 297337200. My question is this necessary as I would think the only purpose would be to delay start of fan in cold climate. All my searches for this part have turned up zero. Anyone have any ideas?
[/quote

I have removed such thermostats in the past, however I would never recommend removing any safety device. With that said, most condenser fan motors are considered shaded pole motors, which means they have very little starting torch, which also means thier amp draw is minimal, which also means if the motor was froze up for ever it would never catch fire. With that said, most units do not incorporate such protection on said motors.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Freezer Thermostat
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 09:41:05 PM »
Iím guessing you mean the evaporator. That parts a defrost bi-metal. Just shuts the defrost heater off when itís hot enough. So yes unless you would like to burn your house down I wouldnít bypass it. Sounds like you have a short somewhere. You need to find a wiring diagram and see what lies in front of your failed part. Usually that door switch is in the equation.
🌲PNW Chris🌲