Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: dangerous CO leaking oven  (Read 254 times)

Offline Iditarod656

• VIP Member
dangerous CO leaking oven
« on: August 29, 2022, 07:18:47 PM »

My mother is planning to use the dangerous CO leaking oven even though she knows better. She thinks it's going to be ok as long as she leaves the house doors open. I think it's going to get really bad. I bought a carbon monoxide meter, turned the oven on, and checked it. The reading got to 100 ppm really fast, which is dangerous. Two weeks ago, she cooked chicken in the oven, and and it made the whole kitchen and living room smell like propane, really strong. I said something - she turned it down to 200 degrees and the smell went away.

I have emailed the volunteer fire dept., but I doubt I will hear from them today.  We already called the propane co., they referred us to "Joe the plumber" who is on vacation. She decided to wait for "Joe the plumber," and meanwhile she is going to use the oven anyway.

So, it does smell strongly of propane when she turns the oven on.  It also starts leaking CO when she turns the oven on.  The oven puts out way too much heat for the temperature setting.  The stovetop is fine. 

Will it be safe for her to use the oven if she leaves the front door open?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: dangerous CO leaking oven
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 10:43:48 AM »
Sounds like a bad ignitor. Time how long it takes for the burner to actually light from when the ignitor glows. Should be under a minute or so, if more the ignitor may be failing causing soot to build up on the flame spreader and that could be your high CO reading.