Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Ge Profile fridge front panel not lighting up  (Read 508 times)

Offline Ryan W

• VIP Member
Ge Profile fridge front panel not lighting up
« on: August 23, 2022, 12:16:45 PM »

Hello all,

Troubleshooting a PSC23NSWA SS GE profile fridge which is working fine except for the fact that the front ice/water control panel is completely dark. (fridge+freezer maintain temp fine, even makes ice)
Symptoms started when I was troubleshooting issues with water not being dispensed when trigger pressed. Was reseating connector for the front display at the door when eventually the display stopped working (might have put connector in wrong orientation once or twice, not sure if that blew out some capacitors?). Have tried various power cycles with no luck.
Used a multimeter to check voltage getting to the board, and we have voltage coming in to the input connector of the board (13.6 volts) as shown below:

Red(labeled “12v” on the board) -> common (black) : 13.6 V
Red -> ground (blue) : 13.6 V
White -> black: 13.6 V
White ->
Red -> White (heater) : 0V

When the board is connected, the 13.6 V connections drop to ~11.4 V, and others stay the same.

I got another (used) front control board and it exhibits the same symptoms, but this is complicated by the fact that it seems to have been slightly damaged in shipment (capacitors bent). I straightened the capacitors and there doesn’t seem to be any permanent damage, but I am not 100% sure I can trust testing results from this board.
Further reading seems to lead down a path of replacing the main control board of the fridge. I’m conflicted as to the right way to go here, either getting another front control board (since it seems to be getting voltage?) or replacing main control board in the back because I have yet to try that yet.

Any advice as to the best path to proceed/other things to check, ect?

Thanks!

--Ryan

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
Re: Ge Profile fridge front panel not lighting up
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 04:57:22 PM »
Hello all,

Troubleshooting a PSC23NSWA SS GE profile fridge which is working fine except for the fact that the front ice/water control panel is completely dark. (fridge+freezer maintain temp fine, even makes ice)
Symptoms started when I was troubleshooting issues with water not being dispensed when trigger pressed. Was reseating connector for the front display at the door when eventually the display stopped working (might have put connector in wrong orientation once or twice, not sure if that blew out some capacitors?). Have tried various power cycles with no luck.
Used a multimeter to check voltage getting to the board, and we have voltage coming in to the input connector of the board (13.6 volts) as shown below:

Red(labeled “12v” on the board) -> common (black) : 13.6 V
Red -> ground (blue) : 13.6 V
White -> black: 13.6 V
White ->
Red -> White (heater) : 0V

When the board is connected, the 13.6 V connections drop to ~11.4 V, and others stay the same.

I got another (used) front control board and it exhibits the same symptoms, but this is complicated by the fact that it seems to have been slightly damaged in shipment (capacitors bent). I straightened the capacitors and there doesn’t seem to be any permanent damage, but I am not 100% sure I can trust testing results from this board.
Further reading seems to lead down a path of replacing the main control board of the fridge. I’m conflicted as to the right way to go here, either getting another front control board (since it seems to be getting voltage?) or replacing main control board in the back because I have yet to try that yet.

Any advice as to the best path to proceed/other things to check, ect?

Thanks!

--Ryan
Based on my past experience with this design, there is a good chance that water is freezing in the door. If the water freezes in the door it will not flow. This is a common problem with ge side by sides.. If you Google that symtom you will come up with a remedy.  That may have been your original problem. Beyond that I would look for a quick disconnect either at the top or bottom hinge area. You may be breaking your connection there. If so try some dielectric paste to solve your connection issue. Problem could be in main board but that is rare.

Offline Ryan W

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 05:02:11 PM »
Thanks Harold! Its possible that we had icing in the door, but I did not hear the water dispensing solenoid actuate when troubleshooting the original problem which lead me to think it is electrical.

In terms of moving forward, I am not sure how dielectric paste would help since I already have voltage getting to the board for the front display, the board is just not lighting up? Namely, we are past the bottom hinge quick disconnect

Appreciate the input and your time

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 05:12:59 PM »
Thanks Harold! Its possible that we had icing in the door, but I did not hear the water dispensing solenoid actuate when troubleshooting the original problem which lead me to think it is electrical.

In terms of moving forward, I am not sure how dielectric paste would help since I already have voltage getting to the board for the front display, the board is just not lighting up? Namely, we are past the bottom hinge quick disconnect

Appreciate the input and your time

Try wiggling connection while looking at board for light. Could be losing connection under load is my thinking.

Offline Ryan W

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 05:23:52 PM »
That's a good idea, I'll try that with a helper later (the dog is not too good at watching for lights  :D ). I'll report back with what I find. If this is found to be the culprit, should be easy enough to replace the connector

Do you think the voltage drop when the board is plugged in is normal, or a sign of resistance upstream increasing when the board is plugged in/under load?

thanks again for the help!

Offline Appliance Medix

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 07:52:25 PM »
Just curious….how old is the refrigerator and has it ever had the fresh food evaporator fan replaced?  Those fans are notorious for causing all kinds of random issues.

Offline Ryan W

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 08:51:01 PM »
Fridge is on the order of 8 years old? I am not sure which fan is the fan in question..... Is it like this one, for the main evaporator fan (https://www.genuinereplacementparts.com/ge-psc23nswass-evaporator-fan-motor-genuine-oem)? While I just came into this fridge with the home, I think it is safe to say that no parts have been replaced.

Fridge has continued to act up, temperature display was acting all funky and flashing zeros, then that fixed itself, then the freezer door board lit up again but wouldn't dispense water, then now water dispensing is working again. Don't have much confidence it will hold up though...

Futzing with the connection to the fridge door didn't seem to help (this was back when nothing was working), so coupled with the other temperature issues, I['m inclined to think it is the motherboard, but am inclined to just replace all the parts at once if I can since it is a royal pain in the ass to pull the fridge out and work on it.

Offline Appliance Medix

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 11:53:40 AM »
The old style evaporator fans for these models are terrible.  A short in this particular evap fan causes all sorts of failures that are random and cannot be tested.  Old fan used 1/4” red insulation where the wires go into the connector.  New fan doesn’t use the red insulation.  You can tell which one you have by removing evap fan electrical cover located behind the right crisper drawer.  Red insulation= REPLACE FAN!  I was a GE factory repairman before Haier bought them out.  I included pictures to show the old and new styles.

Offline Ryan W

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 06:07:52 PM »
Thanks for the details!

Finally pulled apart the fridge enough to see the fan and clear evidence that someone had monkeyed around there before (bunch of random masking tape around the fan wires as they head back to the connector). It was very hard to get the plastic compartment open due to unknown restrictions on opening the lower crisper unit so I had to interrupt my exploration (Why Appliance manufacturers can't use screws is beyond me). It seems that the fan is a 2-wire fan that heads back to the connector, not a 4 wire fan as shown in your reply. Model of the fan is: KLDC12Z4C-918B (example picture at: https://lorainfurniture.com/shop/appliance-parts/refrigerator-freezer-parts/ge-refrigerator-power-cool-fan-wr60x10064-wr17x13035-kldc12z4c-918b/)

My general thinking is that since this seems to have been a replacement, and we are not looking at the 4-wire red connector fan, we are likely good to go here? Appreciate your insight.