Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Thermistors in general, in this case LG dryer???  (Read 503 times)

Offline kvhome

• Technician
Thermistors in general, in this case LG dryer???
« on: August 22, 2022, 08:13:39 AM »

This has been noted on several thermistors, dryer model DLE3170W this time.

I get a lot of " not drying" or "not completely dry" work orders. Usually I can link them back to overloading or several pair of sweatpants or other thick items in the load, but not always. No error codes.
In this case, I verified that everything is working properly: Dryer vent clean to the outside, sensor bars scrubbed clean, elements ohming out OK, all thermostats working properly, so I went to the thermistor.

Resistance is 10.6k ohms at 71F ambient temp., but there was a buildup on the surface that looked like lime buildup but wiped off with a finger. I've changed two on different dryers this month, and in both cases there was residual moisture left in the dish-towel size terrycloth small loads run for a test on Normal Dry. We don't use fabric softener, either liquid or sheets. Detergent is measured with an automatic dispenser.  In both cases, the towels stayed in the same shape that they were in when they came out of the washer instead of fluffing up - not twisted, but each piece keeping its wrinkles from the spin cycle. The test loads were done on Speed Wash, hot water, no detergent, since I just wanted an evenly wet load and the towels were already clean. Oh yeah, we're in a high lime area.

Can buildup on the thermistor cause this kind of a problem? The test loads were run after replacing the thermistors. Is there anything else I can look at?

Thanks.

Offline kvhome

• Technician
Re: Thermistors in general, in this case LG dryer???
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 08:27:06 AM »
Oops! Please move this to the Dryer Repair forum... thanks.

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 04:47:52 AM »
You may need more items to do a test with.  The moisture bars need to touch wet clothes regularly to register the moisture level.  Might give it a try.

Bearcat

Offline kvhome

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 07:52:41 AM »
Yeah, the size of the load has crossed my mind, along with shaking them out better before drying.

I was more interested in whether anyone else has seen buildup on the thermistor and whether simply removing the buildup helped them instead of replacing it. These two dryers are in a seldom-used ward right now, and I can get back soon to try the bigger load.

Thanks for your input. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 09:09:42 PM »
Sensor dry hasnít worked right since the dawn of sensor drying. Use time dry, sensor dry was for energy star compliance for the company.
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline kvhome

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 03:41:00 PM »
I have to agree that there are loads that should never be dried on a sensor-controlled cycle.

However, (giving up my age) I remember sensor bars on upper-level dryers as far back as 1976... a long time before Energy Star. Pity they never got it right.