Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Two Door Fridge Stops working occasionally  (Read 334 times)

Offline hawn

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Two Door Fridge Stops working occasionally
« on: August 21, 2022, 03:32:52 PM »

I have the two door whirlpool fridge, model number wrx986sihv00. The fridge works fine except... It stops working occasionally and makes a ticking/knocking sound on the back. When I'm home I just unplug it for five minutes and re-plug it and it works again. When I leave the house for a week or more, it's almost always that I'd come back and have to throw everything away because of this problem. It also started leaking water occasionally too, so I would see a decent amount of water next to the fridge in the kitchen.

I looked for the relay but couldn't find one in this model. When it stops working and makes the ticking sound, I followed the sound and found the source to be the Solenoid W11429989 ( link ), but I'm not sure what this part does and if replacing it would help. Any assistance and help is appreciated.

Her is also the link to the ticking sound my fridge makes: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/pFpg9q8znQs

Thank you!

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
Re: Whirlpool Two Door Fridge Stops working occasionally
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 06:47:01 AM »

I have the two door whirlpool fridge, model number wrx986sihv00. The fridge works fine except... It stops working occasionally and makes a ticking/knocking sound on the back. When I'm home I just unplug it for five minutes and re-plug it and it works again. When I leave the house for a week or more, it's almost always that I'd come back and have to throw everything away because of this problem. It also started leaking water occasionally too, so I would see a decent amount of water next to the fridge in the kitchen.

I looked for the relay but couldn't find one in this model. When it stops working and makes the ticking sound, I followed the sound and found the source to be the Solenoid W11429989 ( link ), but I'm not sure what this part does and if replacing it would help. Any assistance and help is appreciated.

Her is also the link to the ticking sound my fridge makes: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/pFpg9q8znQs

Thank you!

Divertor valve solenoid p# W11580434. I've never heard this solenoid make a noise. Go to YouTube and check out "Whirlpool side-by-side and bottom mount dual evaporator refrigerator theory of operation" video. You will see an appliance junk video there. This solenoid can be change without unsoldering tubing. Your water leak is probably ur ice melting and coming out or down the door.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 06:49:15 AM by haroldsappliance »