Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: 2011 Whirlpool French Door model evaporator fan not spinning after replacing it  (Read 365 times)

Offline kw012

• VIP Member

Complaint was that the fridge and freezer were not staying cold. I pulled the freezer back panel and found the upper half of the evaporator coils including the evaporator fan assy encased in solid ice. The bottom coils were clear. Compressor and condenser fan running well. Drain tube is open. The fan motor assy came apart in my hands so I replaced it. Nothing. I am able to detect current in the red and white wires with my sensor but do not know the amount of current. So I replaced the control board and still, no fan blowing. Everything also seems to be functional. I have the model and s/n if needed. I am fairly handy but I do not have a guide to troubleshoot.
Thank you in advance for suggestions.  Keith

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
Check to see if your fan runs in diagnostic mode. Should be a Tech sheet underneath the right upper fresh food hinge cover.

Offline kw012

• VIP Member
I     The diag ran well and the evap fan faulted as expected. I had installed a new board and fan before running the diag. I pulled the control board and followed the purple wire and blue from the board and backwards towards the fan. I could easily see that the insulation around the resistor was discolored from getting too hot. I had to do some driving but I was able to buy a couple of new resistors for $1.57. Tech Tip: The electronics store owner helped by telling me that a replacement resistor could be a little different than the original. The original resistor is a 10 ohm, 1/4w, 5% spec. The store had the same resistor with a 1/2w spec instead of the original 1/4w. He told me I can always go up that amount of wattage but never go lower than the original wattage. I installed the new resistor and the function of the evap fan has been restored. My Weller soldering gun had a broken tip and none to be had close by so I crimped that resistor on that wire between the board and the fan. An unusual .75 cent resistor failed. The fan failed. The evaporator coils froze up. I think the board was trying to power that fan after it was frozen and the component failed. I replaced the board with a known good used and guaranteed one. I will keep the original board as backup.  I hope this post and thread can help somebody find an unusual item failure.
Made me wish for a Radio Shack store to be around again,..

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
I     The diag ran well and the evap fan faulted as expected. I had installed a new board and fan before running the diag. I pulled the control board and followed the purple wire and blue from the board and backwards towards the fan. I could easily see that the insulation around the resistor was discolored from getting too hot. I had to do some driving but I was able to buy a couple of new resistors for $1.57. Tech Tip: The electronics store owner helped by telling me that a replacement resistor could be a little different than the original. The original resistor is a 10 ohm, 1/4w, 5% spec. The store had the same resistor with a 1/2w spec instead of the original 1/4w. He told me I can always go up that amount of wattage but never go lower than the original wattage. I installed the new resistor and the function of the evap fan has been restored. My Weller soldering gun had a broken tip and none to be had close by so I crimped that resistor on that wire between the board and the fan. An unusual .75 cent resistor failed. The fan failed. The evaporator coils froze up. I think the board was trying to power that fan after it was frozen and the component failed. I replaced the board with a known good used and guaranteed one. I will keep the original board as backup.  I hope this post and thread can help somebody find an unusual item failure.
Made me wish for a Radio Shack store to be around again,..
Thanks for the update. Yeah, I miss Radio Shack also.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 05:58:34 AM by haroldsappliance »