Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Rewire of motor connector to fit older Speed Queen model HG4209 W gas dryer  (Read 807 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician

I was given an older Speed Queen gas dryer with model number HG4209W and s/n SR137116 that will not start the motor for the drum/blower. The entire motor asembly was removed and it was  then hooked up to verify the problem. The motor will only buzz . Since the problem is the motor windings I  am considering using a different motor with the newer connector instead of the original individual wire connections and need info on making the proper connections . Can anyone help on this.? The motor is a CCW rotation  with a threaded blower wheel stem not the D ring type. Help .

Offline Thorning

• Technician
I found a rewire  procedure on Google for a Maytag gas dryer and if I can come up with the right motor it looks like it will work for the Speed Queen unit.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
The Speed Queen dryer I was given for possible repair must really be an old model as parts such as the motor are not available at a reasonable price. The dryer s/n is SR137116 and the arrangement for the blower and motor is CCW rotation as viewed from the blower end whereas almost everything else uses a motor and blower with a CW rotation. The blower housing is also not adaptable to use a different rotation blower wheel.  I did find a motor at PWS but it is over $300. Any one have an old AMANA or Speed queen dryer with a decent motor for sale ? The motor I took out is marked with a p/n  58044-2 Model S58NXJJS-4999 and is a 1/4 HP type.  I had to destroy the blower wheel to get this apart  as it was a threaded shaft type and seized to the motor shaft. so a new blower wheel is also needed.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
I use to see a lot of issues with lint in the motor centrifugal switch and that would be the symptom, I cleaned the lint out and made sure the centrifugal switch moved freely. It solved 80% of the issues.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Thanks and I will take another look at that item . The slide on the motor shaft moves freely but I will take a look at the insides of the switch itself to make sure it is not "fried" .

Offline Thorning

• Technician
The switch itself was taken apart and several of the contact points were badly arced . I was able to use a fine  file and clean them up. The switch spring which slides on the motor shaft was also cleaned , lubed, and all dirt blown out of the area. So far the motor now comes up to speed with very little hesitation. not perfect but much better.  Further work is in process to use a newer blower wheel on the shaft . A blower wheel to fit the motor threaded  stem is not available so I am reworking the  threaded stem  to accept an old design "D" ring mount type of wheel to direct air flow into the ducting . Hopefully it will work and stay in place with a retaining nut.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
When I took the older motor out I disconnected the harness wiring  connectors at the switch . I thought I made a diagram correctly to rehook it back up to another motor but something is not right as the motor will not start. Can anyone help with a diagram to help me get it back together ? The unit has a model number HG4209W and s/n SR137116

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Rewire of motor connector to fit older Speed Queen model HG4209 W gas dryer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 07:36:00 AM »
I have not given up on this effort quite yet but have not made any real progress due to illness (covid 19) My most recent effort was to recheck an old spare motor I thought was usable. It turned out to be a non usable item as it would just growl a bit when I tested it on the bench. I  have an alternate SAMSUNG dryer motor in good condition  I thought was usable but it is the wrong direction of rotation. As a matter of interest can anyone tell me if it is possible to rewire  a dryer motor externally to provide for an opposite direction of rotation ? These old Amana and Speed Queen  electric dryers  and maybe gas units  use a motor that turns CCW as viewed from the blower wheel end and most of the newer units have a motor that turns CW. Probably has to do with the internal windings of the motor but I thought  it might be possible. Can anyone shed some light on this question ?

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 09:15:09 PM »
Call it quits and move on.
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 09:29:33 PM »