Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: How to get a good compressor  (Read 511 times)

Offline HillBilly

• VIP Member
How to get a good compressor
« on: August 13, 2022, 06:55:35 PM »

Hello,  I have a frig gone bad (LG) with a FLB075LBNA.  It's just over 3 yrs old and LG won't repair because listed as DNR (I bought it scratch and dent but listed new in may 2019) .  Anyways I'm stuck with the repair.  What I would like to know is what part number/supplier can I get a good one (I think from what I've read is this is the latest part #TCA38151706)
Anyway, will fix but would like a compressor that will last more than 3 years and just ordering the cheapest OEM FLB075LBNA is a bad idea (?).
Thank you for the help.

NEW LG LSXS26336S Refrigerator 26.2 cu. ft. Fridge Side-by-Side - Stainless Steel Scratch/Dent
$704.95
Ordered from
Saferwholesale.com
Total cost
$704.95
Items
NEW LG LSXS26336S Refrigerator 26.2 cu. ft. Fridge Side-by-Side - Stainless Steel Scratch/Dent

Offline HillBilly

• VIP Member
Re: How to get a good compressor
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 11:08:03 AM »
New day, more research... I want to order a comp today but still don't know best one/where to order to get best possible ver. comp.  With that said, can someone help with this serial number decode?

Offline HillBilly

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 12:46:16 PM »
The rabbit hole deepens...
CJT30000002

If I had to decide at this moment, it's a TCA38151706 and reprogram main board.  Still don't know reputable seller to get what I order exactly...
And still many questions, like the reprogrammer is relatively new and is this in response to forced improvement (class actions)?  And if correct (I don't know just thinking), what experience with time do we have knowing this comp/reprogram is an ok product with longevity/function?

Sry for all the questions, old retired engineer...

Thoughts?

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 07:40:42 PM »
You can check the part numbers on this forum site top of the page has a link to look up and order parts. I think the forum gets small commission too. Otherwise try McCombs supply in PA or Encompass. I have seen people selling the compressors new on Facebook marketplace that they must have been sent under warranty and didn't want to pay the labor to install it.

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 07:43:26 PM »
You are supposed to do that update to the board and make sure you have the latest version of the firmware on the jig if you buy a used jig it might be old firmware.

Offline HillBilly

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 11:53:19 PM »
Thanks,
*Looked at new $1200 Frigidaire 1 yr warranty... no thx
*Replace with same LBNA... ~350... 3yrs life?  price ok'ish
*Get latest upgraded, get new flash tool... figure ~$500... can't find firmware... yet...

So one of the last 2, the later sounds best but since latest firmware and most recent comp have little history... (theory sounds good but so did lincomps in the beginning...maybe just my ignorance)
What would you do?

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 07:37:55 AM »
I have been hearing on Facebook sealed system servicers group that the new LG refrigerators that have R600 isobutane gas and the newest version linear compressor are also failing.  So honestly I would not invest time and money into your frige unless you can find a really good deal on the compressor from someone who is selling a new one on Facebook marketplace or eBay.
I would look at the Midea fridges at Lowes that company is the largest manufacturer of air conditioning and appliances in the world. They were rebranded by other companies for many years and now they are trying to make a impact in the USA under their own name Midea.

Offline HillBilly

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 08:36:54 AM »
Many thanks.
Yea, I agree but ...
The size makes a good replacement $2k+ish... and then insuring a quality one.
Got used to the ice and chilled water in front so downgrading for more $ than repair cost.
So as it sits, gonna find new LBNA and hopefully get out less than $400... glad I got all the tools.  Today I will check every sensor at the main board to make sure no other issues... nice of them to put the main board on the top of this model...

It seems sad (and mad) that finding good parts/devices, good being longevity and worthwhile to repair, continues to go from bad to worse... maybe it's just me being an old and picky engineer.  Almost pisses me off enough to make my own... but that's stupid timewise not that I haven't done that many times before (maybe I'm stupid! Lol)... possibly... what's the best r134a comp out there today?

I wish everyone the best with there search for getting stuff fixed and don't get old!

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 09:05:51 AM »
They all seem to be using Chinese or Embraco made in Brazil compressors now in most refrigerators.  Only LG and Samsung seem to make their own compressors. The new refrigerators are all using r600 not 134a which runs much lower high side pressure so it's supposed to be easier on the compressors but you need to be careful since it's flammable gas if you open the system they advise to use crimp connections not brazing unless you purge with nitrogen. The positive side of r600 is you don't need to recover it you can release it into the air since it's a natural gas not harmful to the ozone layer.
I just saw on lowes website the midea side by side Model #MRS26D5AST is 1300 has water and ice on the door.

Offline HillBilly

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 09:45:08 AM »
Thanks again, all good info.  I skimmed over that one because didn't say water... details do but no mention of cooling (tank).  DL manual... in troubleshooting infers it has one, so decent price for features and do like hidden handles. 1yr warranty!?  Is this standard these days? still $1400ish (tax) vs ~$400...
Will research parts cost of this unit and issues folks have had and long been in service.  What frig you have ; ) ?

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 11:28:15 AM »
Oh wow I just read the Midea warranty in the owners manual it is only 1 year. Usually the sealed system has a longer warranty but it does not mention anything about sealed system just says 1 year.
The other lower cost brand is Hisense they have 5 yr sealed system warranty but after 1 yr says you pay labor they pay parts on sealed system only.
I would still go with Midea because they make mini split ac systems and are very good so I trust them.

I have a older 2012 LG that has the FC75LANE linear compressor that actually works good but LG stopped making that compressor!
I have in my rentals a Samsung side by side I picked up from Facebook Marketplace dirt cheap becuase it needed a compressor so I fixed it and it seems to be holding up fine after 3 years.
In the other rental I have a Frigidaire side by side that I also bought used on marketplace. It had a few problems after purchase such as the dispenser ice flap motor failed, the spring that keeps dispenser pad out broke, and the wires by the compressor fell into the drain pan and corroded the connector caused the digital readout to show 0F 0F. I was able to fix those issues with used parts from ebay.

So in my experience all the brands have some sort of issues just like cars there is no perfect brand!

Offline HillBilly

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 11:50:56 AM »
Lol, yea, devil in the details!
Not looking for "perfect", just "good"... maybe my expectations are just too high!
Did research model and since newish not a lot of issues or parts quantity and they are well priced... if 10 years out and only a few comp problems, I'd call it good.