Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Fridge won't dispense water or ice...  (Read 454 times)

Offline stanstr

• VIP Member
GE Fridge won't dispense water or ice...
« on: August 06, 2022, 10:30:28 PM »

We have a GE DSS25KGRBWW fridge that won't dispense water or make ice.We're using the filter bypass that came with it. The water line comes from a filter under the kitchen sink.
I had the back of the fridge open, trying to chase out the problem, and finally tried removing and replacing the filter bypass as we were getting no water into the solenoid assembly.

Then I find the part the filter bypass attaches to is broken. I was surprised to see it like this...
All it took was a slight touch for the broken part to fall off...

I assume when the filter / bypass is removed there's a valve in there that shuts the water off, and with ours broken like this it can't seat properly, so the water doesn't go back on.

Water comes to the fridge to the filter, then to the double solenoid assembly in the lower corner.
Is it ok to just bypass the filter (ie, bypass the bypass) by cutting the line from it to the solenoids and set the water line directly to the solenoids?
Has anyone here done this?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
Re: GE Fridge won't dispense water or ice...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 05:08:36 PM »
We have a GE DSS25KGRBWW fridge that won't dispense water or make ice.We're using the filter bypass that came with it. The water line comes from a filter under the kitchen sink.
I had the back of the fridge open, trying to chase out the problem, and finally tried removing and replacing the filter bypass as we were getting no water into the solenoid assembly.

Then I find the part the filter bypass attaches to is broken. I was surprised to see it like this...
All it took was a slight touch for the broken part to fall off...

I assume when the filter / bypass is removed there's a valve in there that shuts the water off, and with ours broken like this it can't seat properly, so the water doesn't go back on.

Water comes to the fridge to the filter, then to the double solenoid assembly in the lower corner.
Is it ok to just bypass the filter (ie, bypass the bypass) by cutting the line from it to the solenoids and set the water line directly to the solenoids?
Has anyone here done this?

Yes, cut line anywhere below filter housing and use compression nut with neoprene sleeve.