Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore Agitator Not Rotating Properly  (Read 288 times)

Offline peterinwa

• VIP Member
Kenmore Agitator Not Rotating Properly
« on: August 06, 2022, 03:00:56 PM »

I have a 1995 Kenmore washer that has worked flawlessly for 27 years and never needed a repair. Same for the dryer. Amazing!

The upper part of the agitator, the part with the spiraling fins, it not rotating properly. It's basically loose and you can turn it with your hand. (The lower part of the agitator with fixed fins that just goes back and forth still works fine.)

I removed a cap on the top of the agitator and I can see the problem. What looks like yellowed nylon pieces have broken up. They appear to be designed to slip in and out of the teeth they fit just inside of. I marked the "teeth" in the first photo, but can't find them in the parts diagram. (The "teeth" are fine.)

I have also attached the parts diagram and list, but I can't figure out what in the diagram represents the broken parts.

I doubt they still make replacement parts for such an old machine, but is there any chance they are "standard" and replaceable parts?

Thank you. I know nothing about such things.

Offline peterinwa

• VIP Member
Re: Kenmore Agitator Not Rotating Properly
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 06:15:12 PM »
After posting I got the idea to Google "Kenmore washer replacement parts" and found GenuineReplacementParts.com. I searched for my model number and "agitator" and found the broken parts. They are called Agitator Dogs.

I only had to remove one screw and washer to disassemble the part that held them, and it will be easy to replace them.

This was very rewarding! Less than $4 for the parts versus a bill from a repair service... or a new washer!