Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Test for ge profile compressor  (Read 1032 times)

Offline B clark

• VIP Member
Test for ge profile compressor
« on: July 26, 2022, 01:38:36 PM »

Hi I'm new to this forum.  I have been working on my fridge for the last 6 days trying to figure out why it will not cool and either fresh fruit or frozen evaporator. The compressor always started right up. I felt it I could feel a vibration going continually. But after 6 days my suspicions have come back to the compressor. One of the things that's unusual is the high side is not remotely hot and the cold side is not remotely cold. And the compressor itself is just cold all the time. But yet it is running. I replaced the start capacitor and start relay. I then bought a different start relay and took it completely out of the system and ran my own AC line to it. Thinking that maybe the system board had something to do with it. It still behaves the same way. High side is cold low side is cold and the compressor is cold but yet it vibrates and runs. If there is anybody out there that may have an idea on this issue your help is greatly appreciated.  Model number of the fridge is GFE28HMHFES attached is picture of compressor.

Offline samehsaziz

• VIP Member
Re: Test for ge profile compressor
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 01:57:46 PM »
looks like i have the same problem, did you figure it out? can you please help if you can?

Offline B clark

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 08:38:04 AM »
No i sure did not

Offline samehsaziz

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 10:17:55 AM »
thanks!

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 04:25:48 PM »
Stop the condenser motor with your hand you should be able to determine if the compressor is running. if it's running   most likely it's out of freon or you have a full line restriction. Pull ur evaporator cover and look for frost blockage. If the compressor is not running I would suspect faulty control board. Look for burn on back side of board

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 06:02:35 AM »
Hi I'm new to this forum.  I have been working on my fridge for the last 6 days trying to figure out why it will not cool and either fresh fruit or frozen evaporator. The compressor always started right up. I felt it I could feel a vibration going continually. But after 6 days my suspicions have come back to the compressor. One of the things that's unusual is the high side is not remotely hot and the cold side is not remotely cold. And the compressor itself is just cold all the time. But yet it is running. I replaced the start capacitor and start relay. I then bought a different start relay and took it completely out of the system and ran my own AC line to it. Thinking that maybe the system board had something to do with it. It still behaves the same way. High side is cold low side is cold and the compressor is cold but yet it vibrates and runs. If there is anybody out there that may have an idea on this issue your help is greatly appreciated.  Model number of the fridge is GFE28HMHFES attached is picture of compressor.
You could also put an amp meter on compressor, during normal operation most working unit will pull appr 1 amp. If it's completely out of refrigerate amp draw will be around 1/2 amp.

Offline B clark

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 07:52:59 AM »
Thanks for the info, but is it possible one can   Have a running compressor but the mechanical internals of the compressor no longer function. For example it can run but it just doesn't generate any pressure?

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 09:19:35 AM »
I know that you asked this a while ago.  Although, yes, a compressor can still run, and the valves in the compressor can be bad, and hence little to no pressure change.  Usually what you see if you look at the evaporator is that it will be slightly sweating, if the valves are going bad.

Bearcat

Offline B clark

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 05:11:18 PM »
Thanks alot for the info, Im working a different project now but plan to revisit this issue in the fall.