Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag electric dryer model MDE9316AYW with s/n 10659887UK  (Read 324 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Maytag electric dryer model MDE9316AYW with s/n 10659887UK
« on: July 18, 2022, 07:19:51 AM »

The above dryer was given to me for possible repair . The previous owner said it would just barely start  the drum  to turn with a load of heavy wet clothes and sometimes it would just growl and quit.  I took it apart and found one of the drum rollers above the heating element worn out. The other roller was in decent shape.. No other significant damage was found. It was reassembled and tested but the drum still is a little  slow to start turning even when empty and does so with a growl.  I am going to take it apart again and check the motor bearings for any binding due to dirt, etc before I consider changing the motor. I have been told by another  tech friend that he has noted that this Maytag model is prone to this problem. If this is typical I wondered if it is possible  to revise  the electrical circuit for starting by adding a capacitor to the start winding. Speed Queen washers use a capacitor  in the motor circuit to aid the motor to start  heavy loads. Any comments ?

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Maytag electric dryer model MDE9316AYW with s/n 10659887UK
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 01:50:56 PM »
The front of the dryer was removed for exam of the motor. The small  device at the top rear of the motor that is activated when the motor comes up to speed to switch from the start winding  to the run winding was slightly loose in its retention arrangement. I have temporarily  put it back in place but the motor still growls a little when starting.  I may have to take the motor out anyhow to see if I can free up the bearings for an easier start. This motor is a 1/4 HP type as compared to other models which use a 1/3 HP version. I presume the starting torque is different between these motors.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 08:13:41 AM »
The motor was removed and checked for any binding of the bearings and none was noted and the shaft would spin freely. Penetrating oil was squirted into the bearings anyhow  and all dirt was blown out of the motor from both ends. The motor was reinstalled and connected back up. A cycle was started and the result was the same as before.  I may or may not do additional work on this unit as the growl at starting is not very pronounced although the test was run with no wet clothes in place. If any other techs have comments on this model and problem I would like to hear from you.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 12:12:35 PM »
An alternate  1/3 HP motor from a Samsung (?) dryer with motor  p/n DFS270ZsEL1 was installed to evaluate the  performance. The unit now starts with little or no growl . The motor  in question uses a threaded shaft and blower wheel and some shims  on the shaft were used to get it to  fit  in the blower housing  and turn properly. It still make  some noise  during rotation  but starts better.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 01:38:32 PM »
The original  1/4 HP motor was put back into the dryer  along with a few new pars such as drum rollers and shims under the front slides for the drum. The rotation is  smooth but there is still a slight growl when it starts to turn. No other work is going to be done on this unit.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 09:38:43 AM »
Bad motor. Replace with Maytag motor. I did Maytag service for 26 years and there are no real shortcuts that last.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 10:55:42 AM »
I agree . The Samsung will fit but it is not as good as the original Maytag.  The Smsung motor was taken out and a Maytag motor was used.