Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: KitchenAid gas dryer model CYG3004 AWW with s/n 14892305GE  (Read 272 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
KitchenAid gas dryer model CYG3004 AWW with s/n 14892305GE
« on: July 14, 2022, 12:57:43 PM »

I was given the above model dryer as scrap since the previous owner said it would not work. The problem was that the motor was bound up due to dirt in the bearings. The motor was removed and the bearings freed up. One of the problems of the reinstallation of the motor is the half clamp which is a spring type and is a common type used on many Maytag, Whirlpool and Speed Queen units. The clamp has two slots one on either end to snap around a hook type  sheet metal tab. These are easy to remove but very hard to reinstall at least for me and this model uses only one at the rear end of the motor. After much effort I was able to get it back in place but wonder if any other techs have a secret method to reinstall  these little buggers. I finally resorted to filing the inner ends  of the slot of this spring clamp to provide  slightly more clearance where it snaps over the sheet metal tab. The material is very hard spring temper steel and difficult to file but eventually I got it . Does anyone have any other methods to make this installation easier ?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Re: KitchenAid gas dryer model CYG3004 AWW with s/n 14892305GE
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 01:35:15 PM »
They use to make a tool for that. Allen Bar.

Here is a photo of it back when I was given one to test out.

It was just a tube that was pinched on one end and the other end had a handle on it.

A nut driver works too. Slip it over the clamp as shown in the photo and give the handle a tap with a hammer. I liked to use a dead blow hammer.

You can also use a large flat blade screwdriver and place it more towards the inside of the clamp in the “U” shape part if that makes sense.

Hope that helps

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 01:37:02 PM »
Here’s about the only photo I could find online of the Allen bar. I thought we had more photos of it on our site but can’t find them right now. 

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 01:46:46 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will consider trying the tube design the next time I have to do this job. The area that is available to make this work is very limited but is worth a try.