Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool WRX986SIHX00 No ice low KED  (Read 339 times)

Offline Awalker

• VIP Member
Whirlpool WRX986SIHX00 No ice low KED
« on: July 11, 2022, 11:27:20 AM »

A couple weeks ago the LEDs in the top of this fridge went out (on but very low), then today it stopped producing ice.  Where is the circuit board so I can put it in test mode to see if it has error codes? Any ideas on the LEDs?

Thanks,

Offline Awalker

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool WRX986SIHX00 No ice low KED
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 01:13:26 PM »
I found the tech sheet under the hinge cover. I pulled the fridge out and pulled the back cover and verified condenser fan operation. I cleaned out the coils (some dust and debris). I then tested the harvest operation of the ice maker, it functions, but no ice in the tray. I tested the water fill, and it does fill. I ran through a bunch of tests that gave no error codes. I have not yet checked the actual freezer temps yet, as my t-couple is not working in my meter.

I left the machine in the fast ice mode to see if it will freeze the current batch of water and harvest it.

Any other ideas on where to go?

Thanks,

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 08:45:27 AM »
From what I can see your model number is incorrect 3rd digit from the end is Incorrect. My recommendation would be to go to diagnostics test number 56 and see what your ice maker code indicates. Of course a temperature test is a 1st priority . If you have the correct temperature and test 56 is good, While you're in diagnostics you can test all thermistors as per your Tech sheet. Try unplugging unit for a couple minutes; could have a glitch in board thats causing both issues.

Offline Awalker

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 11:23:43 AM »
I thought I had updated this. After having unplugged the unit, removing the back panel,  leaning the coils, testing, cycling the ice maker, it started making ice again without any further trouble.
 I still need to fix the LED lights. Also, apparently I turned off tThe dinger somehow. It no longer dings when you change from ice to water, leave the door open, etc.