Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool wrf757sdem making noise and not cooling  (Read 380 times)

Offline Tgod288

• VIP Member
Whirlpool wrf757sdem making noise and not cooling
« on: June 13, 2022, 07:30:19 PM »

This morning my fridge started making a semi loud humming type noise. Sounded like maybe fan hitting ice? I then notice the temp seemed tosing in the fridge. I found the condenser coils were pretty dirty and cleaned those up a bit and then looked at the evap coil in the back of the freezer and it looked OK, no built up ice or anything.

I plugged it back in tonight and the freezer is down to 15 and fridge to 40, set to 0 and 37 respectively

Any ideas? Seems like it's fixed but want to be prepared if it's not. Thanks!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Re: Whirlpool wrf757sdem making noise and not cooling
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 07:54:45 PM »
About how old is it?

It could very well have just been dirty coils.

Offline Tgod288

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 08:01:24 PM »
About 4 years

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 08:04:50 PM »
Gotcha, yeah I would just keep an eye on it at this point. If it does it again I'd check the frost pattern on the evap coil.
Maybe take a photo of the evap coil for us to see if you have any more problems with it.

Offline Tgod288

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 01:17:29 PM »
It is cooling but appliance repair guy just came. He says the fan that blows grok the freezer and blows cold into the fridge is the issue. There is a DC wire that they have seen issues with that causes the fan to run intermittently.  This means that the cold air stays in the freezer and causes condensation and ices up the evap coil and the fan for the fridge area. He says that this is non repairable. His colleague says they tried to repair it one and it failed again. Says the wire would need to be replaced and you have to pull the whole thing apart and wouldn't warranty it since they expect it to fail.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses since 1988
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 01:43:23 PM »
It is cooling but appliance repair guy just came. He says the fan that blows grok the freezer and blows cold into the fridge is the issue. There is a DC wire that they have seen issues with that causes the fan to run intermittently.  This means that the cold air stays in the freezer and causes condensation and ices up the evap coil and the fan for the fridge area. He says that this is non repairable. His colleague says they tried to repair it one and it failed again. Says the wire would need to be replaced and you have to pull the whole thing apart and wouldn't warranty it since they expect it to fail.
Some repairmen are not willing to do the extra work. What I do is drill a hole thru the back wall and run a new wire to the main board. Not complicated at all. I also don't believe everything I hear.