Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Once a year fridge water leak  (Read 515 times)

Offline careh

• VIP Member
Once a year fridge water leak
« on: May 17, 2022, 10:42:47 AM »

I have a strange -once a year- water leak issue with a 10 year old Amana bottom mount fridge with ice maker.

Usually the fridge and ice maker work fine - but once a year for the past two years the fridge would pee some water (like maybe a pint) onto the floor of the kitchen.  The first time it did it - I first suspected the ice maker fill valve - as the fridge and freezer temperatures were fine, the freezer floor was dry, the condensate drain pan was dry, the freezer defrost drain grommet was clear and the freezer coils were clear.  After looking around - I pulled the freezer apart and found there was a large ball of ice on some round part located to the top right side of the freezer coils.  At that time I defrosted that large ball of ice - put it back together and all was well.

.... until a year later ... when it again peed about a pint of water onto the floor.  As was last time - the freezer floor was dry and the fridge and freezer portion temperatures are fine ... so I don't suspect the freezer coils or the defrost drain to be the issue.

This time - rather than pull the whole fridge apart - I just cleaned up the water and put some paper towel around the fridge.  A week later - the fridge continues to run fine - and no water on the floor!!!  Any idea what this could be?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Re: Once a year fridge water leak
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 06:50:34 AM »
That is a strange one. Did you happen to figure it out yet?

Offline careh

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 12:52:49 PM »
Nope!!.  Its been over a month since the last 'leak' - stay tuned for next year....

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 12:54:18 PM »
Nope!!.  Its been over a month since the last 'leak' - stay tuned for next year....

Dang that's crazy. Wish I had an answer for you but that is a strange one.

Offline WhiteStar

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 02:44:00 PM »
I pulled the freezer apart and found there was a large ball of ice on some round part located to the top right side of the freezer coils.

Is there condensation on the outside by where that ball (Accumulator) is? If so I may have run into this before. Humidity builds up on the outside from being frozen though the wall. Once a year could just be the high humidity before running your AC and bringing your home humidity down to the roughly 33% normal.

A model is needed to see what you have. Check Freon flooding (Don't Tap) on the evap to be sure it's not low on Freon which can also cause that ice ball. Also dirty coils can cause over freezing creating the same issue.

If all is normal move the accumulator away from the wall if possible, doing this can cause leaks if the evap is frozen during movement, warm aluminum allows for some movement without causing stress cracks depending on age or if the unit was ever in storage causing excessive oxidization hardening the metal.

Offline careh

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 04:33:17 PM »
I did not see condensation on the outside right hand side of the fridge freezer area - beside where the accumulator is.... mind you I have not looked at that spot in the past (but I will from now on).

We have had A/C on only for the last day (this year) - while last year the A/C would have been on since late May.

At least today - the whole side of the fridge where the accumulator is - is clear of condensation and not cold / not warm to the touch.... just 'room temperature'.

The model number is ABB1924WEW1.

I can't check Freon level - as I don't have any tools or experience in that area.

We have no kids or pets and keep our windows closed year round - so less dust.  Once a year I do clear off dust on the bottom mount coils by using a leaf blower -blowing from the rear towards the front (my wife gets impressed with the dust bunnies floating around the kitchen afterward).

When you say to move the accumulator away from the wall - I would hesitate to do that if I end up cracking a Freon line or who knows what else...

Assuming there is no subsequent leak this year - then next year - starting in early May I plan to put some paper towel down in front of the fridge - and I will make a note to check the side wall for any signs of condensation.

I had thought of a 'once a year' - remove everything from the fridge ... putting it in our 'backup fridge' - and put a fan blowing into it - unplug it for 24 hours - just to see what happens...  But my wife may frown on that idea as well...

Offline WhiteStar

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 11:19:28 PM »
Assuming there is no subsequent leak this year - then next year - starting in early May I plan to put some paper towel down in front of the fridge

Great idea, I recommend the paper towel method of locating leaks quit often. Let us know if you solve the mystery.  :)

Offline careh

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 10:27:04 AM »
I looked up the first time it did it and it was June 22, 2021 - so well into air conditioning season... - Here is a photo of the accumulator.

Offline careh

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 10:32:13 AM »
That photo above of the accumulator is from the June , 2021 leak - this year I did not take the freezer apart to see if I could find any signs of ice buildup.