Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Speed Queen motor very hard to turn by hand  (Read 102 times)

Offline ChristmasTree

• VIP Member
Speed Queen motor very hard to turn by hand
« on: March 13, 2022, 08:00:50 PM »

I have a 1995 Speed Queen washer, model AWM472W2.  It stopped recently and would not drain and I noticed a burning scent.  My guess is the motor probably overheated and it's thermal switch shut off.  After waiting a bit, I plugged it back in and then heard the motor hum but no movement.   I took the motor out and it's very hard to turn by hand.  I can do it but it requires some force.  Shouldn't it spin very freely?  I can turn the drum by hand when I reach back in there so hopefully that means the transmission is ok.  The pump moves easily as well.  Does this sound like the motor needs replacement or repair?   Here are the specs:

Washer:  1995 Speed Queen washer model AWM472W2
Motor:  Part number 34571  (though my repair manual says the motor is 37891 so maybe a prior owner replaced the motor with 34571).  There is no separate capacitor anywhere in the washer which seems odd but I guess some motors don't need them? 

-Does it sound like the motor is the issue and that it needs replacement (given the pump is ok)?
-If so, could the motor be repaired?
-Is there a cross-reference somewhere to washer motors which would show me a list of model numbers that would be compatible?

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I like the washer and have done a lot to it over ten years and I enjoy keeping things going.   

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: Speed Queen motor very hard to turn by hand
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 02:11:30 AM »
Yes, motor should turn freely and easily by hand.  It's common for washer and dryer motors to go bad by the bearings tightening up.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Speed Queen motor very hard to turn by hand
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 05:15:58 AM »
Sometimes a person can take the motor out and stand it up on end in a vice . The pulley would be facing down. Then squirt penetrating oil in the bearing on the top end and try turning the motor frame. The end  that usually seizes up is the bearing under or adjacent to the blower wheel due to dirt being pushed into it. Turn the motor over and try it again. Sometimes it works to free up a stuck motor. several attempts will be necessary. It may work for you