Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Hotpoint dryer-bad motor vibration  (Read 476 times)

Offline Andy777

• VIP Member
Hotpoint dryer-bad motor vibration
« on: February 07, 2022, 11:00:02 AM »

Hi, the motor in this gas dryer sounds like it is vibrating badly.  Started a couple months ago.
Dryer is somewhere between 5 and 8 years old, if memory serves.
Model  HBXR333GJ1WW
Serial  LT747071A

Also, it seems you can't get inside the dryer for servicing without removing the side panels and the front and top.... and one screw for each side panel is underneath...are you friggin kidding me???

Anyway, if someone is familiar with this problem and what the fix might be, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Hotpoint dryer-bad motor vibration
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 02:39:42 PM »
I am not familar with this model but If there is a significant vibration there are a couple of things to look at if you can get it apart. The motor itself which is not likely or the drum. If there is a paddle missing inside the drum it would vibrate but not much. If the idler pulley is damaged it will make a lot of noise and vibrate. If the rollers that support the drum if it uses them  are worn out it will vibrate and make a lot of noise also. If it is based on the GE design the front end of the drum is supported by a plastic ring on the front cover which is easy to repair. The back end of the drum is supported (GE design) by a single bearing at the center. This is a lot harder to get apart . Hope this is of some help to you.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 02:44:04 PM »
Are you sure about the model number as it shows it is a washer not a dryer ?

Offline Andy777

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 07:57:10 PM »
Yes I believe the drum is supported at the front, I had it apart (kind of) a few years ago.  THAT was an experience I wish not to repeat.  I recall it may have NOT been possible to run it with the panels off because of this.  Can't say for sure. 

The model # is correct..I'm in Canada and we normally will have model numbers specific to Canada, due to elec. certification requirements and labelling.
The reason I think its the motor is because the vibration frequency is high, something that can only be produced by something spinning at a higher RPM.
The dryer is at My Moms, and its a long drive from here, so if it ever conks out, she will probably be calling in an appliance repair person. 

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 08:24:35 PM »
I have found a lot of lint and fabric sheets in blowers on GE made dryers. Can usually hear it when you rotate drum manually.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 06:13:49 AM »
If she or someone can afford it get rid of that dryer and get one more reliable such as a Maytag  or Speed Queen.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 10:54:35 PM »
Usually hotpoint/GE dryers have 2 screws 12’oclock when you open the door on inner lip. It all starts there if their there. Then slide top forward, lift front up and slide right or left to unhook it from consoles tabs. Check this 4 drum glides too cause they probably need new ones, 2 green and 2 white.
🌲PNW Chris🌲