Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE PDW8980 Think It Has a Different Control Panel  (Read 539 times)

Offline Marc3696

• VIP Member
GE PDW8980 Think It Has a Different Control Panel
« on: January 23, 2022, 09:33:06 AM »

I have a GE PDW8980N20SS. My original problem started when the drain line plugged. I resolved that, used the service mode to activate the drain pump and emptied the dishwasher. I then entered factory test mode and the turbidity sensor/control board/membrane keypad test failed (and it indicates failure by a continuous tone). Following note in service manual, I pressed the "delay" button multiple times to stop the tone and skip the remaining tests. Side note, I cleaned up the turbidity sensor and all tests now pass. However, after exiting the first factory test mode the controller decided I had a 7 button controller panel instead of the 12 button one (the dishwasher is 13 years old). After trial and error I was able to figure out what buttons on the 12 panel keypad mode to the 7 button functions, but can't figure out how tell the controller that it really has a 12 button keypad attached. I've rerun the factory test 3 times,  everything passes, but I'm stuck in this state. Two questions:
- Has anyone seen this before?
- Does anyone know if the control board has a battery back up on it? I'm wondering if I need to pull it and remove/replace battery. Wanted to ask before doing more surgery.