Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Is a tankless water heater right for us?  (Read 3271 times)

Offline PapaHatch

• VIP Member
Is a tankless water heater right for us?
« on: January 14, 2022, 07:01:07 PM »

Daughter, Son-in-law and 3 kids run out of hot water. 2000 sf 3 full baths. Gas water is in the garage. 2 of the baths are on the far side of the house. Been trying to do some research and all I get is more questions in my head. There are a lot of brands I never heard of. Condensating or not ? Burner size. Thanks for the help. 

Offline shieldcracker

• VIP Member
Re: Is a tankless water heater right for us?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 03:10:05 PM »
With line water heaters you will never run out of water. Instantaneous electric line water heaters make sense for homes with one to three persons, where lots of hot water is not required (say showers/basins/sinks) and you don't need more than 120F. These units can save energy vs a standby tank water heater because line heaters only heat the water that you are using. When you close the hot water it switches off. The catch is that there is  an upper practical limit flow they can deliver more flow= more power, and these things use lots of power heat the water in an instant.  The intense energy consumption of the Line heater is offset by the fact that most 96% of the day they are OFF. Tank water heaters cycle on/off to keep a tank full of water at a given temperature whether you use the water or not.I advice you to check Stiebel Eltron, ECOi,/Rheem Eemax brands, electric heaters are mid priced, installation can be med-high price due to having to install a dedicated electric circuit.

Gas fired line water heaters make more sense if you have a large number of people and want hotter water. Gas heaters do not tap-out in flow/temp as the electric ones because usually gas lines can handle the fuel surge to run the heater vs the electric system in your home.Expect to pay a pretty penny for the unit and installation. Rinaii is a good brand to check.