Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag gas dryer model MDG5500WW with s/n 42768966ZY  (Read 429 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Maytag gas dryer model MDG5500WW with s/n 42768966ZY
« on: January 13, 2022, 09:37:39 AM »

I was given the above dryer for possible repair by a friend. I have not torn it apart yet but when plugged in  the panel will display a  readout of 8.8  I suspect the control  panel but not sure if the push button panel is a likely problem of the circuit board control . I dont have a trouble shooting manual for it and would appreciate any suggestions. The rest of the dryer is in very clean condition.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Maytag gas dryer model MDG5500WW with s/n 42768966ZY
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 11:40:42 AM »
The top control panel was opened up and the 4 resistors (R53,R54, R55, R56) in the upper RH corner of the PCB were  burned  as I have noted on other units of this design. Another complete control  panel with  the resistors in a non burned condition was put into the unit and I was able to check the membrane panel for function of the individual  switch function. The membrane indicators all function but  The readout was displaying a time of 50  but no action could be generated to make the motor run or turn on the heat function.  If anyone can provide any additional info to be able to trouble shoot this unit it would be appreciated.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 12:00:03 PM »
The large capacitor  just to the right of the transformer was also noted to have a slight bulge to the top surface. This problem was also noted in a problem diagnosis  on a  google  info  page.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 01:21:42 PM »
Can anyone provide info on the size and rating of this capacitor and a source for a replacement ? Also the rating of the 4 resistors  ?

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 11:54:21 AM »
The capacitor which was suspect of being the problem was replaced with another part by removing/unsoldering  the old one from the PCB . An  alternate part of slightly different rating was
installed and it now allows the unit to rotate and heat properly. The resistors although they were slightly burned were not replaced. The defective capacitor was a 3300 MFD /16 volt  item. A replacement of a slightly lower MFD rating but a higher voltage rating was used . It was the same size physically as the old one. The bulge on the end of the old one was not very much but enough to make it non working in the circuit. The soldering job was not as good as I would like but it worked.