Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG LFX31945ST /06 Fridge Compressor Failure - R-134A Refrigerant Question  (Read 321 times)

Offline LG-Refrigerators-Suck

• VIP Member

I have a 36" wide LG refrigerator with the door-in-door feature. It is LG model number LFX31945ST/06 and was manufactured in October of 2013. Obviously, you already know I am posting here because the compressor failed, like every other LG refrigerator that has been sold into the market, and is in need of replacement. The compressor actually failed within the first 2 years of ownership (in early 2016) and has been sitting nonfunctional and dead for the last 6 years. I have not done anything with it yet and am tired of seeing it take up space in my kitchen so I either need to do something with it, or throw it out in landfill.  There is no sign that the R-134A refrigerant has ever leaked or escaped from the system. The fridge simply stopped cooling one day, paired with an awful rattle/banging noise that was emerging from the compressor housing. LG won't fix it.  I fought them for 6 years and they won't even respond.  I am tired of dealing with them, despite being the original owner, and the fridge was sold through Home Depot with a 10-year compressor warranty.

Having said that, I am looking at options to possibly replace the compressor unit with a new one.  From my research, I understand that LG has come out with a new "universal" compressor design - which is LG compressor model TCA38151706 - which has been marked on the exterior with a bold, red vertical stripe. I also understand that this new compressor requires a software update for the main PCB circuit board (located at back of fridge) which can be reprogrammed using the LG CJT30000002 software re-writer tool (commonly called "the jig"). I read somewhere that my PCB circuit board may not be able to accept this software update because the fridge was manufactured prior to 2014 (my fridge was built in October of 2013) so I am looking into the possibility that this may never work, and am not sure what can be done here. Not sure if I need to buy a new PCB as well, or if there is even one available and at what cost, and if so then what is the new PCB model number? If you know the answer to this (PCB model number) this input would be greatly appreciated.

Anyways, my question today is about the refrigerant that I will need to purchase in order to recharge the fridge after the new compressor has been installed. Again, this fridge uses R-134A refrigerant, but I was wondering if refrigerator refrigerant is somehow "special" in any way (additives, etc.) that makes it different from refrigerant marketed for automobiles.  Can I just purchase small cans of automotive refrigerant online, and use them to recharge this fridge's new compressor/system (using standard off-the-shelf, automotive grade, R134A refrigerant) such as Johnsen's model 6312 R-134A refrigerant (or similar type).        https://www.johnsens.com/all/6312-r-134a/

Anyways, those are my questions for anybody that is able to provide an answer.  Am I able to buy and use standards 12-ounce cans of Johnsen's 6312 (R-134A) refrigerant with the new compressor?  I have googled this information, and some opinions seem to suggest there are pressure differentials between a fridge and automotive application, but seeing both use R-134A refrigerant, my gut tells me this information is likely not true.  Refrigerants are designed to operate at whatever the design pressure is so I don't see how this could be different; however, I could see there being a possible "additive" difference given that these are obviously very different systems using different compressors and other components (fridge vs automobile).

Thanks for anybody that has this knowledge, and is willing to share an answer to these questions.