Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Amana LWA50AW agitation issue  (Read 334 times)

Offline RVA-79

• VIP Member
Amana LWA50AW agitation issue
« on: January 10, 2022, 10:22:55 AM »

I have a 1999 Amana LWA50AW washing machine.  The motor is a speed queen.  The unit stopped during agitation (first issue ever) and smoke smell.  Pulled the front, tried again and smoke was coming from motor switch (which is obsolete).  I have the service manual, so i tested the motor windings, which proved ok, and the motor switch, which failed on one test so i found a used one on ebay, which is on the way.  I went ahead and took of the belt to try the mechanical rotation in both directions and the motor without load.  The motor started up fine.  The spin direction (clockwise) is quite easy and performs as the service manual says it should.  My question is that when trying to turn the drive pulley on the input shaft of the transmission (same pulley belt drives) i cannot turn it and i'm wondering if it just requires the HP of the motor to move due to gear reduction and such in the transmission or should it be able to be turned by hand?  I saw a post from 2008 where someone asked this question in regards to a different issue but no one answered at the time.  The belt is worn but i cannot see where that would cause the motor to struggle in the agitation mode.  My plan this afternoon is to try and rotate pulley / input shaft in counterclockwise direction with pipe wrench a bit of leverage to see if it will move.  Any experienced thoughts or knowledge?

Offline Dash

• Technician
Re: Amana LWA50AW agitation issue
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 09:39:20 PM »
On a Speed Queen or Amana washer, you should be able to turn the belt be hand and easily make the washer agitate.  Turning the belt backward to make it spin takes a lot more effort but you should be able to make wash basket rotate.  If you can't make it agitate by turning belt by hand then you have a bad transmission.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Amana LWA50AW agitation issue
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 12:01:15 AM »
Yup. Should be able to make it agitate with one finger actually. I second dash.
🌲PNW Chris🌲