Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Older Speed Queen gas dryer model HG4209W with s/n SR137116  (Read 221 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Older Speed Queen gas dryer model HG4209W with s/n SR137116
« on: November 25, 2021, 06:51:37 AM »

The above dryer was given to me for scrap price with the caution that it might need some repair. It is very clean inside and out.  The exhaust duct was missing and the LH rear  drum support roller was seized up. The belt was in bad shape and a wire connection to a T-stat  was almost ready to fall apart. All of these items were repaired or replaced. The gas control valve which may be sticking  is an older design and I cannot find a listing to  show the solenoids or the complete valve. Can anyone point me in the correct direction to source these parts ? Also it was noted as with many older units of this design that the drum has a slight bump when the seam comes across the support rollers. A couple years ago I noted this and asked to factory about the spec for allowable ridges in the seam and they never could or would provide an answer. This particular unit is not severe but I would like to improve it. Does anyone have some suggestions to improve it ?

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Older Speed Queen gas dryer model HG4209W with s/n SR137116
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 06:57:51 AM »
Many of the important parts such as the gas valve are shown on the page you mentioned but are discontinued.

Offline HerbG

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 11:34:42 AM »
Try PWS LAUNDRY PARTS (pwslaundry.com). Your model is in there and they have the coil kit (56225A) for your old dryer (SQ Amana or Huebsch). This style gas valve was replaced in the early 80's by the valve with quick change coils.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 12:00:25 PM »
This model dryer is in good condition but I think it is at least 20 years old. I recall the SQ dealer telling me that the current model s/n is essentially that the first 2 digits of the s/n tells the year of mfg but I wonder about the older units such as this one with s/n SR137116. Anyone able to shed some light on this  ?

Offline HerbG

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 04:21:28 PM »
Date code says it was built September 1983.  The original ignitor (Carborundum) was inserted into a mating support. Over time, transference of the mating coating would degrade the ignitor's performance. You might want to check this out if the dryer still has this set-up. Later production went to a one-piece design. As for the drum, sometimes reversing it would help or a light grinding of the seam.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 04:43:46 PM »
I could not find any problem with this unit and it is now working properly. Thanks for the info on the age of it