Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: I'm trying to figure out how to defrost a Magic Chef refrigerator freezer  (Read 373 times)

Offline ScottJM

• VIP Member

Hello,
I am trying to figure out the process of defrosting a Magic Chef refrigerator freezer.
I've read the "How to Defrost" section of the manual but there are parts of it I am confused by. I've included that section below along with a list of questions that I think might bring some clarity. I've also attached a couple of photos of the refrigerator freezer to hopefully make it a little more clear what I am dealing with.
Thank you for your help!  :)
Scott

From manual:

How to Defrost

Defrost the freezer compartment when the ice/frost are approximately ¼” think or every 3 months, whichever comes first. Set the thermostat dial to “0” to defrost. Remove all contents from the freezer compartment. Leave the freezer door open to allow accumulated ice/frost to melt. Remove large pieces of ice as needed. Do not use hot water or other electric heating devices to melt the accumulated ice. After defrosting, remove accumulated ice/water and wipe the freezer compartment dry with a soft cloth. In the event that the ice is not visibly present in the freezer compartment, please allow the evaporator located behind the freezer wall to completely defrost for approximately 2 hours before restarting the unit. Restart unit per starting instructions.

Questions/points:

1.       There are no “starting instructions” that I can find in the manual. In contrast to starting, is stopping the refrigerator freezer, (which is an action they’re implying here), involve turning the thermostat to “0” and unplugging the refrigerator?
As part of the defrosting process, if I am supposed to unplug the refrigerator/freezer, how long after I set the thermostat to “0” do I unplug the refrigerator/freezer?

2.       The How to Defrost instructions say, "In the event that the ice is not visibly present in the freezer compartment, please allow the evaporator located behind the freezer wall to completely defrost for approximately 2 hours before restarting the unit."
Okay, but there is no evaporator located behind the freezer wall.  There is just one flat wall of the refrigerator. Nothing is attached to the wall. Please see attached photo ("top and back of refrigerator freezer").
So, what do I do in this case?

3.       As shown in the attached photo ("refrigerator freezer on plywood and carpet"), the unit is on a piece of plywood board and then the board is sitting on top of carpet in a room. It was set up like this by my landlord and her boyfriend as part of turning a bedroom into a "kitchenette" I pay rent for.
So, what do I use to safely catch the ice melt? Just a bunch of towels?
My concern is water leaking down along the refrigerator/freezer, then onto the plywood board, and then onto the carpet, creating mold or mildew issues. How do I prevent those issues other than using towels?

4.       As mentioned earlier, I cannot find any “starting instructions”. The How to Defrost paragraph says at the end, "Restart unit per starting instructions". So, after I get done with defrosting the refrigerator/freezer, what steps does “Restarting unit” involve?

OR…

Do I just do what this guy, "George", suggested starting at the 1:40 mark in his YouTube video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i38ibIPjZxY

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: I'm trying to figure out how to defrost a Magic Chef refrigerator freezer
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 05:37:52 AM »
1 I did not see anything about unplugging it.
Setting it to 0 turns it off.

2. Need a model number. There has to be an evaporator coil in the unit somewhere.

3. Towel and or a sponge is what you need. Without actually being there I cannot say where the water will go, If the units liner is good it may all stay in the liner but you may have to mop it up several time during defrost to prevent overflow.

4. Starting is just closing the doors and setting the thermostat back to where it was (usually the mid point)

Offline 100 td

• Technician
Re: I'm trying to figure out how to defrost a Magic Chef refrigerator freezer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 05:02:32 PM »
As per manden, the evaporator is inside the freezer, likely combined into the back wall, not outside, it's the part that provides the cooling.
Turn dial to zero, defrost, remove ice, wipe clean as per instructions, turn dial back to preferred setting. Job done.