Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: RCA portable washing machine will not spin.  (Read 771 times)

Offline BiggyJ

• VIP Member
RCA portable washing machine will not spin.
« on: November 01, 2021, 12:33:59 PM »

RCA portable washing machine will not spin.

Model: RCA RPW302-C

[[[[[[[[ Does Not Spin ]]]]]]]]

All other functions operate as they should. (seems to)

>>>>>>> Fills fine, agitates fine and drains fine, (pumps water out).

If you watch the tub when it switches to spin mode, it has a little jerk to it but no real movement to speak of.

How do I troubleshoot this issue please?

Offline BiggyJ

• VIP Member
Re: RCA portable washing machine will not spin.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 02:07:21 PM »
Just noticed, there is something that [[ IS ]] spinning when it is in "spin mode". It is closer to the front of the machine. So something is not engaging to make the main drum pulley turn.

Offline BiggyJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 08:54:41 AM »
If the motor is spinning when the spin cycle clicks on but the drum pulley is not turning, does that mean the belt is stretched and should be replaced? Or is there some kind of clutch on the motor shaft that should engage the belt on the drum pulley?

Offline BiggyJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 09:48:43 AM »
OK... finally figured out that the Magic Chef MCSTCW30W4 is the same washer. I've also put some pics on my server at https://jaxehost.com/pete/

Here is one pic of the entire clutch assembly. Something is causing the clutch break not to release the tub so it can spin. Remember, when machine first engages, you can see the tub try to engage. Just a one second, 1/4 inch bump and then just sorta hums.

So what exactly releases that band strap that I see? Or would you suspect another cause for the no spin issue? Like maybe the lid switch? Could that even be the case with the fill, agitate and drain working correctly?

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 09:32:21 PM »
I don't know this machine, however many need to do the same basic job, do you see the wire coming from the motor on the right in pic 444, it appears that it should be attached to the metal arm or the plastic which pulls the metal arm. Make sure it hasn't pulled out of the plastic, and that it pulls/shortens the cable and moves the metal arm when going into spin
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:38:39 PM by 100 td »

Offline BiggyJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 09:41:00 PM »
Thanks...

Yes I do. Mine is still on the washer. That pic is from one for sale on eBay. Posted for clarity because mine is identical.

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 10:41:26 PM »
That releases the brake, and it's held quite tightly, needs a fair amount of force on the metal lever to release, the motor is geared, very strong.

Offline BiggyJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 09:22:14 AM »
Thanks 100... but what tells the break to release? Lid switch or what?

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 05:53:12 PM »
Generic info, timer/controller tells the motor when to work, in spin mode, generally after water has drained (by pressure switch control), also lid switch and "spin hold/drip dry" if selected in program, will "spring apply" the brake, meaning no power to motor.

Offline BiggyJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 06:33:10 PM »
100, I would like to thank you for the time you spend trying to help me :)

Now... a couple more questions.

If the lid switch had an issue, would It work as It should in ALL cycles EXCEPT spin?

And I am still stuck trying to understand how the clutch/brake works. Right now, power off and not in spin mode the brake band is tight around the shaft drum. (or whatever you call it).

If I could understand EXACTLY what device makes the brake band loosen, I might be able to figure it out.

I can tell you that my wife has always done large loads in it and for maybe 2 1/2 months I have heard a bad bearing sound. But at least the bottom one looks OK and has no excessive movement but I have not checked the top bearing. I will wait to hear back from you and maybe tomorrow I will try to pull the tub.

Also, when I removed the top to try and find the lid switch, there was a couple of small pieces of plastic broken off in one of the lid hinge areas. But this is not your standard lid switch. I can not figure out where it is at for sure.

Thanks again 100,
Johnny

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 06:03:25 AM »
<If I could understand EXACTLY what device makes the brake band loosen, I might be able to figure it out.> The device/motor pictured in your pic 444
The cable pulls the plastic which is fitted over the metal tag/lever and actuates the lever releasing the brake.
If you open the lid during a spin cycle, the motor releases and the brake is applied by the spring force for safety reasons so you don't get caught up in a spinning machine. The brake is in the braking position NORMALLY, the motor pulls the cable and releases the brake when the machine goes into spin.

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 06:31:37 AM »
Generic info. The brake holds the drum in place and only releases it when the machine goes into spin. So if the brass ferrule is pulled off the end of the cable, the brake will stay engaged solid, if the ferrule has pulled through the plastic, the brake will stay engaged solid, if the plastic frame around the brake leaver is cracked, the brake will stay engaged solid, if the brake/clutch/DRAIN motor as pictured in 444 is dead or has failed, the brake stays engaged solid, if the lid is open or the cycle is selected for drip dry/spin hold the brake will stay engaged solid. Just watch for the cable to  tension up and pull the mechanism when the machine goes into spin and which part is broken.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 06:34:19 AM by 100 td »

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 06:47:43 AM »
Just had a look at image 444 on a bigger screen, if this is your washer it "appears" the plastic is cracked where the cable attaches and likely just opens up that crack when it goes into spin. If it's not your washer, I'd be looking in the same place!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 06:55:39 AM by 100 td »

Offline BiggyJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 11:48:01 AM »
Thanks 100...

Actually, that is a slit built into the plastic piece to put the cable on or take it off.

Still don't understand exactly what makes the break disengage!

I haven't tried to remove the tub yet but I guess I should.
What do you think?

Thanks,
John

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 02:57:42 PM »
Quote from: BiggyJ
Still don't understand exactly what makes the break disengage!
As previously noted, the brake lever being actuated by the cable from the drain motor.
Quote from: BiggyJ
I haven't tried to remove the tub yet but I guess I should.
Pulling the tub won't fix the brake, but do what you need to do.
Did you look to see if the drain motor pulls the cable at all after the tub is empty of water.
As previously noted, this won't happen if the lid is open, if the machine is set to drip dry/spin hold
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 03:03:21 PM by 100 td »

Offline BiggyJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 08:47:20 PM »
Thank you again 100.

I do understand what you are saying about the brake. But that still does not answer my question. The drain motor operates on 120v.
(how does the drain motor get the 120 to engage the cable and at the correct time to release the brake?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pulling the tub won't fix the brake, but do what you need to do. (maybe unless the tub bearing is bad?)
I was just thinking of pulling to tub to check the bearing. I know the transmission has a top and bottom bearing but I don't know if the tub itself does. What do you think?

Did you look to see if the drain motor pulls the cable at all after the tub is empty of water. >>> <tomorrow>

As previously noted, this won't happen if the lid is open, if the machine is set to drip dry/spin hold.
[[[ Still don't know if the lid switch is good if all functions work  >>EXCEPT<< the spin cycle. ]]]

Thank you again 100,
John

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2021, 04:38:02 AM »
I do understand what you are saying about the brake. But that still does not answer my question. The drain motor operates on 120v.
(how does the drain motor get the 120 to engage the cable and at the correct time to release the brake?)

Quote from: 100 td
Generic info, timer/controller tells the motor when to work, in spin mode, generally after water has drained (by pressure switch control), also lid switch and "spin hold/drip dry" if selected in program, will "spring apply" the brake, meaning no power to motor.

No idea how I can make this clearer, depending on the actual program logic, GENERALLY, when it comes to spin in the cycle, the machine would first pump out the water, once the pressure switch says it has low enough water, then it goes to spin, power is applied to the drive motor and power i applied to the brake/DRAIN motor which releases the brake and allows the basket to spin.
IF the lid switch is is actuated, meaning the lid is open, then the brake will stay engaged, IF the drip dry/hold spin program is applied, then no spin. However if drip dry/hold function, normally the machine will stop, but you needed to know that for testing.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 04:44:40 AM by 100 td »

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2021, 04:47:03 AM »
If the lid is open or the lid switch is not engaged/faulty, NO SPIN!

Offline BiggyJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2021, 08:53:54 AM »
Thank you...

Offline BiggyJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2021, 03:11:56 PM »
Well... slowly but surely. Made SOME progress. Put washer in spin mode and when motor tried to spin, I tried to spin the main pulley by hand and it started. Then on following tries it also worked as it should.

So... what is the cause?

There is a definite worn/bad bearing sound. Although minimal, I can still hear it. So do you think the control board has a current sensor built in? Sensing the extra load from a bad bearing and stopping the motor from turning the drum.

In my mind, the only other cause could be the cap. I don't trust my inexpensive meter enough to trust it's test results. There is a humming coming from underneath but it just don't sound quite like a bad cap hum, but I could be wrong.

What are your thoughts based on this new data?

Thanks,
J