Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Monogram ZIS48NYB - Temperature control sensor  (Read 226 times)

Offline cerelia

• VIP Member
GE Monogram ZIS48NYB - Temperature control sensor
« on: October 27, 2021, 06:52:09 PM »

Hi Guys,

I'm really hoping someone can help me out here.  Back in early Aug, our refrigerator started slowly warming up and our home warranty company sent out a technician.  He determined it was the temperature control sensor (WR9X588) and ordered the part.  This fixed the fridge, but within 2-3 days, the freezer suddenly started having an issue of dripping/freezing down the inside of the freezer walls.  He came out again and replaced the damper and defrost timer.  He did also mention that there was an issue GE reported with this unit not having a large enough freezer drain pan and they recommend a newer, larger drain pan to replace the older one.  But... everything seemed fine so we held off on that.

2 weeks later, the fridge starts warming up again and the freezer starts dripping/freezing again.  The warranty company sent out a different appliance repair company.  They were sure it was the temperature control sensor, and when they looked at it, said there was no way this part was just replaced.  It was clearly very old.  They then said this part is discontinued and no possible to locate anywhere else (and the first tech likely found a used part on eBay and replaced ours with it).  So... the warranty company cannot help us because the part is no longer available. 

Now, in researching this specific part WR9X588, there is a part on Amazon from a reputable seller with high ratings that 1) looks identical, 2) that someone in the Q/A asked if the part was interchangable with WR9X588 and was told it was, and 3) this person also left one of the 269 positive reviews saying they were easily able to swap out the WR9X588 with this part and had no issues.  Ok... great.  I'm suddenly feeling hopeful.  So I'm about to order the part, checked the pictures carefully of both my part and this new part closely.  The LRA and VAC numbers are the same, BUT the FLA is different: 

Mine:  12/6 FLA      Other new part:  10/5 FLA

Could someone please help me understand if this difference is a big problem and I should not buy this replacement part?  The image I've attached shows mine vs. the one available on Amazon.  The awful news is that this fridge is a 48" 30 cu. ft. built in unit that is horribly expensive to replace and we don't have the funds to do it.  I really want to find a way to fix this unit.  Any help would be very, very, very greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much,

Cerelia

Offline 100 td

• Technician
Re: GE Monogram ZIS48NYB - Temperature control sensor
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 06:22:19 AM »
I read the info as follows
VAC Volts AC 120/240
Therefore this thermostat can work at 120V AC (alternating current) or 240V AC in different parts of the world
FLA Full Load Amps
Therefore the maximum current this thermostat can switch is 10 amps at 120 V AC or 5 amps at 240V AC
LRA Locked Rotor Amps
Therefore the maximum current this thermostat can switch when the compressor is in stall/locked rotor is 60 amps @120V AC or 30 amps@240V AC
Therefore the newer one is rated slightly less at running amps, however I very much doubt your compressor will come near this.
The critical thing about the component is the actual switching temperature and the differential of the thermostat.
The other thing is that if the fridge is under warranty, get it fixed under warranty.
I can't diagnose the fault from afar, but it sounds a bit strange that it obviously wasn't diagnosed correctly in the first place and someone started throwing parts at it. Even if you fit this there is no guarantee this will fix the problem. Use whatever resources at your disposal to get it fixed by someone who really knows what they are doing. Whilst I doubt they have them check this one
https://appliancemasters.com/geh/product/wr9x588/