Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool wrr56x18fw02 refrigerator - diagnostics pass - what next?  (Read 478 times)

Offline Dog named stay

• VIP Member

Hello,

I have a Whirlpool wrr56x18fw02 refrigerator (with no freezer) that doesn't cool.  I ran the diagnostic tests and I didn't find any errors.

This is the first refrigerator I have tried to repair.  What do I do next?

I don't know if this is useful, but the compressor is hot and I have a hot pipe on one side of the compressor and a slightly cool pipe on the other side.

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool wrr56x18fw02 refrigerator - diagnostics pass - what next?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 05:56:22 AM »
Is the evaporator (fridge) fan running?

Is the condenser (compressor) fan running?

Offline Dog named stay

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 10:26:07 AM »
Yes, both of the fans are running.

I forgot there is one more piece of information that might be useful.  I've had the refrigerator on and the evaporator covers (the one for the evaporator and the one for the evaporator fan) off overnight.  There is a pipe to the evaporator that was ice free but now is has a half an inch of ice on it in places.

Also, the temperature went down 10 degrees overnight so I'm now at 60 F instead of 70 F.  Progress? :-\

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 04:41:39 AM »
Look at the evaporator.
It should have a fairly even coating of frost on it.
Note do this after the compressor has been on for at least 10 minutes. If you do it right after a defrost cycle you will come to the wrong conclusion.

If there is just frost in one area (usually where the freon enters the coils) or it is blotchy you have a sealed system problem.
It is probably not worth fixing as you need a pro for a sealed system problem.

Offline Dog named stay

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 07:23:11 PM »
I looked at the evaporator after I ran it for a while and found that there wasn't any frost on it.  The only ice I find is a large lump on the thin pipe connected to the evaporator.  If I understood your previous message that means it is most likely a refrigerant issue.

The refrigerator is about 2 1/2 years old.  It is a freezerless refrigerator.  The current version of the refrigerator (WSR57R18DM) costs about double what my old one did.

If I get it repaired professionally is it likely to last another 5-10 years or do I have to accept I bought a lemon and move on?