Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Lg front load LE error code  (Read 797 times)

Offline DanAllan

• VIP Member
Lg front load LE error code
« on: October 08, 2021, 10:27:41 AM »

LG front load washer showing LE error code. The basket moves freely no restrictions. The stator is good The wiring is good and I have replaced the rotor position sensor. I am still getting the error code. Is the main control board my problem?
Thank you in advance for any help.

Offline wscoyote

• VIP Member
Re: Lg front load LE error code
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 02:52:01 PM »
Did you ever get an answer to this?  I have the same situation right now, and also at a bit of a dead end.  Thanks.

Offline vunger1

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 10:21:26 PM »

1. Using too much or the wrong kind of detergent

Using non-HE (high efficiency) detergent in any HE washing machine (which includes ALL front loaders, regardless of brand or model) is a big Bozo No-No. You can't just use less of the non-HE stuff because washing with low water requires different detergent chemistry than washing with boocoo water.

The biggest problem with using non-HE detergent is sudsing. Excessive sudsing can cause problems in HE washers by “cushioning” — or even preventing — the tumbling action. HE detergents also hold soils and dyes in suspension in low water volumes, so they don’t re-deposit onto cleaned clothes. This means that if you’re using non-HE detergents in your front-loading washer, you’re wearing poopy germs and other ca-ca on your clothes right now and you are one of the Great Unwashed. The inside of your washer will start smelling poopy, too. See my seminal tome, 9 Ways to Beat Odor Problems in Modern High-Efficiency Front Load and Top Load Washers, for more.

But the biggest problem with sudsing as it pertains to the LE error code in LG front loaders is that the excessive suds can trick out the control board because the load doesn't "feel" right (yes, the control board senses the load and its action) and so it throws an LE error code.

Note that using too much HE detergent can cause over-sudsing, too. Detergents are one those things where more is NOT better. You want just the right amount and no more. So what is the right amount? Well, first off, disregard the idiot directions on the box. Naturally they're going to tell you to use more so you'll have to buy more sooner. And don't fill it to the MAX line in the dispenser. Start with the following amounts of HE detergent and adjust based on your water hardness; more for hard water, less for soft water

- Regular HE detergent: 2 tablespoons per normal wash load

- HE 2X (double concentrated): 1 tablespoon

- HE 3X (triple concentrated): 1 teaspoon

2) Broken wire harness

If you're sure that you (or your customer, if you're a professional ) are using the correct type and amount of detergent then replace the motor wire harness at the back of the washer (the one underneath the motor).

Even though the wire harness may look fine, one of the wires inside may have broken over the years of use-- they's a whole lotta shakin' and gyratin' going on back there! Also, wire harnesses in dynamic environments like a front load washer can become intermittent in their conductivity. It may work in more quiescent parts of the cycle and then break continuity as the movement increases. This can break the data feedback from the hall sensor to the main control board and cause it to throw an LE error code.

A visual inspection of a wire harness doesn't give a full assessment of its integrity-- you have to measure continuity of each wire in that harness to know what's really going on.

Or just go ahead and replace the wire harness, it's inexpensive and easy to do.

3. The main control board may be bad

Emphasis on the "may" because this is actually the least likely scenario yet the first one that most techs will jump on in these situations. Lots of times, when the main control board in an LG washer goes bad, it's visible, like in this one:

It's usually the triacs, the power transistors, that get shorted out. If you see this, you better look for the problem elsewhere in the machine because something shorted and caused the triac to draw excessive current which burned it up.

But control boards absolutely do fail in non-visible ways, too. So if you're still getting the LE error code after you've replaced the hall sensor, you've ruled out detergent issues and replaced the wire harness, then the only thing you're left with is the main control board.

Offline Dash

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 12:35:20 PM »
I've run across the LE error numerous times on LG front load washers and the most common part I've replaced to repair it is the hall effect sensor.  It's easy to change even for a novice and the part is inexpensive.  To change that part, remove back panel, remove rotor, remove stator, and disconnect wires.  Hall effect sensor is snapped onto stator.

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 08:05:06 AM »
I think your problem lies in the mini harness (blue connector wrapped in plastic) leading to that hall sensor. Those are known to break from vibrations. You have to disconnect from hall sensor and blue connector and ohm it out side to side while bending each wire top to bottom so see any changes in resistance while having good solid probe tags so those don’t change readings. You can’t ohm it out while on stator as 1, rotors magnet field yields bad reads and 2, you can’t isolate each wire and if remember the wires switch terminal positions so pay attention to color so you don’t have a false reading. Don’t use continuity cause even a burnt, oxidized single strand left wire beeps. Anything other 0.01/0.02 end to end you have a break. Kohms,mohms,OL=bad. That harness breaks inside the wires sheath so don’t expect to visually see it. That PCB when incorporating a hall sensor usually is known for stand by wake issues. But anything’s possible. And most importantly I wasted an hour completely troubleshooting that issue only for the customer to show me the error in the book they professed was LE and the pointed out the lE and thought it was a lowercase L. I cleaned the cold screen and 5 minutes later it was fixed….
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline wscoyote

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 01:50:11 PM »
It was the control board.  I had already changed the hall effect sensor and confirmed good continuity in the harnesses.  The stator passes the resistance test.  6 years old...

Offline saimeeraservicecenter

• VIP Member
  • Washing Machine Service Center
    • Sai Meera Service Center
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 01:17:45 AM »
An LE error code on the washer's display indicates that the motor is locked, possibly due to a heavy wash load.

How to reset the washing machine:

1. Press POWER to turn the washer off.

2. Unplug the washer from the power outlet or turn the circuit breaker to the unit off.

3.With the power disabled, press and hold the START/PAUSE button for 5 seconds.

4. Plug the washer back in, or turn the circuit breaker back on.