Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Frigidaire top-mount freezer, door freezing shut  (Read 257 times)

Offline tagarman

• Technician
Frigidaire top-mount freezer, door freezing shut
« on: October 01, 2021, 08:15:47 PM »

Hey everyone,  I'm working on a Frigidaire freezer-on-top refrigerator model no. FRT21P5AW6 made in 2002.  The freezer door will freeze to where the door won't open (frozen shut).  The frost build-up is on the bottom of the freezer door and the freezer liner under where the door closes.  There is no frost anywhere else.  I check the door alignment, leveled the refrigerator and checked the door gaskets with a dollar bill.  It is  snug but can be pulled out.  This is a basement refrigerator so it does not get used too much, mostly for cold storage.  I will change the door gaskets if you think it will help.  The freezer gasket #241872505 is $68.00 and the fresh food gasket #241872513 is $48.00.  That is $150.00 retail to the customer plus labor.  I wanted to check first to see what anyone else thought.  Please let me know if you have any other ideas before I order the door seals.  Thanks

Offline 100 td

• Technician
Re: Frigidaire top-mount freezer, door freezing shut
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 03:39:48 AM »
Does this fridge have an electric mullion heater? Are the fridge and freezer temps correct? Is there any sweating elsewhere on the fridge.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 03:43:33 AM by 100 td »

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 05:50:42 AM »
You should only need the freezer door seal.
Depends if the fresh food seal looks OK.

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 07:27:56 PM »
I looked at the wiring diagraph and there is not a mullion heater in the panel between the freezer and the refrigerator.  This is the only place that she is getting any frost.  I check both of the door seals with a dollar bill and they seem to be sealing good so I guess I will order and replace the freezer door seal.  Thanks for your help, I'll let you all know if it works.  This is a easy door gasket to replace, just pushes in the channel and no screws like the old ones!

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 08:20:06 PM »
Hopefully just the gasket, you've checked that the door liner isn't cracked anywhere or broken where the shelves attach or coming away from the door skin?

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 08:26:59 PM »
I'll check the liner for cracks before installing the new freezer door gasket.  I don't remember seeing any cracks but I'll look closely when I go back out.  Luck for me the parts company I get my parts from will return a part if I don't need it and didn't open the box so I'll check first.  Thanks Again!