Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Repair Attempts - Need a Pro Opinion  (Read 377 times)

Offline EngineGuy1

• VIP Member
LG Repair Attempts - Need a Pro Opinion
« on: September 27, 2021, 10:00:09 AM »

Longtime lurker - what a great site with real pros. I an an engine/computer/diagnostic guy with some AC experience, and really would appreciate some input. Here are the facts bulleted and if someone could let me know their thoughts I would appreciate it. The technician is very friendly and conscientious but can only do what LG allows.

1) LG french door fridge went warm and was diagnosed as a bad compressor. Model LFX29927ST/03. Operated flawlessly until the compressor failed.

2) Initial service call tech diagnoses and cuts out compressor - then says the software won't go into the board. Comes back about 10 days later and installs compressor/filter-dryer and board. Freezer can't reach temp, hangs around 20 degrees. I tell him if I unplug it, it seems to be a little better after plugging pack in but never performs properly

3) Comes back about a week later and evacuates and recharges system. Still doesn't freeze. Same scenario, unplug it and it gets a little better - will see some 12's in the freezer.

3) Tech says wrong board was installed. Comes back another week plus and installs new board. turns on fridge then realizes needed to program it. Turns off fridge and programs new software. Same thing - never really gets cold. Unplug it and over the next several days it sloooooly gets colder and we see some -4s and temps around 0. But still not staying thoroughly frozen (test pack of hot dogs confirms no true deep freeze)

4) Tech comes back out to do evap and condensor but at the last minute LG tech support tells him to just do a freezer thermistor. We test the thermistor while he is here and it is dead nuts. He replaces it anyway and leaves. Same thing - fridge is hanging warm. I unplug it and over the next day plus is slooooolw starts to show some colder temps in the freezer. With the unit unplugged the temps were equal on the gauges. He also says that running the low side is at a 10in vacuum (i thought that might be a little low but I am not a fridge ac tech)

I believe there is a partial clog or debris in the system. We are now in a situation where he doesn't want to come back because he is afraid he won't get paid by LG for the evap/condensor. He considers it non-fixable.

LG tech support is telling him it's a control issue. I believe this is because when by the time he measured the resistance at the board with the door open, the air was already acting on the thermistor. He claimed it was saying it was 12 degrees warmer that he shot on a surface in the freezer. I explained if it thought it was warmer, it would be running and making it even colder - not the reverse. Again, after it was replaced the thermistor was dead on. 33 degree water was like 7.95k ohms and spec is 8k at 32F. Also no skips in thermistor that was replaced - watched it steadily sweep.

He claims cap tube is not clogged. Suspects there may be something in the system but says he blew it out with nitrogen at 150 psi. I do auto ac occasionally and know that we have flushing solvents - nothing like that was used. I also know that partial or floating clogs will greatly affect efficiency. Leaks have been checked and triple checked and pressures stayed the same each time for him. LG tech support suggested a "micro leak" but I call BS because the repair tech said he evacuated nearly 100% of listed charge and that the pressures stay the same and no leaks are visible.

So now we have a fridge that is under warranty for a failure they can't fix.

Questions:
Anyone see a smoking gun from the description?  Anyone think if we replace a certain sealed system part it will be ok?
Wife likes LG but I keep explaining about all the failures I read about - what is the most reliable brand from a professional's perspective? I really don't want another LG after dealing with their customer service at this point.

Thank you for reading a long first post.

Offline 100 td

• Technician
Re: LG Repair Attempts - Need a Pro Opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 10:43:32 PM »
I could spend half hour here writing, but it won't fix your fridge, I'm not there to diagnose, tell LG you want a brand new fridge

Offline EngineGuy1

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 10:36:31 AM »
Unfortunately just getting through to customer service is a hassle. I swear it's set up to make you give up. No way to contact the same person, have to wait 24-48 hours for replies.

So I will ask this a different way. Is it common for the failed compressor to contaminate the system so that after a repair it cools but not enough. Currently freezer is hanging 10ish.

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »
Spend your time pursuing a replacement.

The original (and ongoing) diagnosis's may have been wrong and can't be done remotely, too many assumptions. Considering replacing condenser and evap is a clue, that's the entire refrigerant system.
You don't need to replace thermistors when a compressor fails. The filter drier should protect the capillary from debris, unless the tech over soldered and the capillary was compromised, he blew the lines out so should be no problem. Could be short on refrigerant, diagnosis of evap superheat required.

Spend your time pursuing a replacement.

Offline EngineGuy1

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 08:45:50 PM »
Thank you. I believe that is the best use of my time at this point.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 08:03:38 AM »
I've seen numerous LG Technician posts that say if a new compressor is installed "THE NEW SOFTWARE MUST BE INSTALLED PRIOR TO PLUGGING THE REFRIGERATOR IN!!" or you'll you blow the Board or Compressor!!!  Sound like this is the case!! CONTROL ISSUE as stated by LG! You stated the technician could not get the software to load (Sound like he used the wrong Software JIG for that compressor or Board).

Just my opinion -

Offline EngineGuy1

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 09:08:31 PM »
Thank you. To clarify the history

He installed a new board at the same time as the compressor. Flashed it. Freezer wouldn't freeze

He said there was a different part number for another board.  Came back later and i stalled a second board. Plugged it in. It ran for a minute or two and i asked him if he needed to update software. He unplugged it and flashed the board.

Same thing going on. Freezer will not freeze

Not worth the grief at this point. LG customer service is abysmal (and thatís being generous)