Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: low end vibration in old school GE dryer  (Read 294 times)

Offline archibald tuttle

• Technician
low end vibration in old school GE dryer
« on: September 24, 2021, 05:03:52 PM »

I don't really see significant lint build up on the fan and I really feel more like the vibration comes with the drum turning. its very low end/low frequency. the rear bearing set and the slides don't look too bad. now that i got it apart ill replace this stuff but i'm not sure that is going to fix the vibration. anyone recognize that symptom. i haven't run iacross it before. thanks, brian

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: low end vibration in old school GE dryer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 04:14:22 AM »
It is not likely a factor but take a close look at the drum to see if it has a problem. Also the drum rollers for flat spots or other problems. Also on the GE type dryers  the front end of the drum  runs on a plastic band at least on the current type that wears out and produces a noise when the drum rotates. Also not likely but possibly the tumbler bars have have material inside them that cause noise and imbalance. Good luck

Offline archibald tuttle

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 10:20:55 AM »
@thorning thanks. yeah this is the plastic band front rests. they look as little worn but not torn up. wouldn't think there is any catch or lump that would cause a shudder like this but they aren't really conducive to any kind of runout micrometer. so i'm going put a rear bearing kit and slides for arguments sake and see what happens. thanks again for stopping by to offer your observations. any others welcome.
brian

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 10:47:45 PM »
You've taken the belt off and thoroughly checked it for damage?

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 07:54:02 AM »
Check the Blower wheel make sure the nut on the blower wheel shaft is tight or not worn - could be cracked or loose!