Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Microwave starts up when you open the door. PEB1590SM1SS  (Read 286 times)

Offline markallie

• VIP Member
GE Microwave starts up when you open the door. PEB1590SM1SS
« on: September 17, 2021, 12:08:29 PM »

I have had a GE PEB1590SM1SS for many years. I ran OK for most of the years. I noticed a few years ago that when you pushed the door release "button" the microwave would start up half way through the push and then shut off before one depressed the button all the way. Yesterday a very potentially dangerous thing happened. It no longer started up half way through the push but now started up after the door was opened. The obvious danger was easily avoided by keeping the door barely open. I tested to see if it was injecting microwaves into the chamber but it was not. Needless to say it is no longer available for anyone to use. It seems from the various help sites that there are 2 possible microswitches that could cause this.  A DOOR INTERLOCK SWITCH and a MONITER SWITCH. I haven't seen the schematic yet so I am not sure which one it could be. Perhaps both. Does anyone have an educated guess on which switch it could be.

What a terrible failure mode. How could anyone design a system that turns on when the door opens. All it takes is opening the door nothing else.

Mark Allie

Offline 100 td

• Technician
Re: GE Microwave starts up when you open the door. PEB1590SM1SS
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 07:42:38 PM »
but now started up after the door was opened.........I tested to see if it was injecting microwaves into the chamber but it was not.
So it's not "Starting up" per se,  but maybe the light is coming on or the fan is coming on?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 07:46:31 PM by 100 td »

Offline markallie

• VIP Member
Re: GE Microwave starts up when you open the door. PEB1590SM1SS
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 05:39:23 PM »
The light, fan and turntable all come on. Apparently not the microwave tube/diode as it didn't heat the test glass of water I put in before I opened the door slightly to initiate a test.

Mark Allie