Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: WWA7050GAL (1980s GE Filter Flo washer) leaking water from top  (Read 474 times)

Offline jczarn

• VIP Member
WWA7050GAL (1980s GE Filter Flo washer) leaking water from top
« on: September 14, 2021, 08:30:09 AM »

Hello!
I have a 1980s GE Filter Flo top loading washing machine WWA7050GAL
Recently (and rather suddenly), I've had a problem with a large amount of water leaking out during the spin cycle.  Upon further inspection, the water is leaking from the top of the tub, under the top cover.
I tested running the washer with the top cover removed, and didn't notice anything unusual until the spin cycle started.  Once the spin cycle starts, the centrifugal force of the rotating tub sends water shooting rather forcefully out the top.
I'm aware that the top cover has a gasket, which normally would help to stop any splashing water from leaking out.  But I'm getting the impression that it isn't designed to stop such a huge volume of water splashing so forcefully.

I took a video of the water splashing out with the top cover removed - I had to stop it just a few seconds into the spin cycle since there was so much water splashing out once it started to get up to speed.  The machine was set to use the highest water level, which is what I normally use.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12igIDdPfk8V57YMeqYaqUIx-E8hpX4hN/view?usp=sharing

With the machine stopped, I did try moving the agitator by hand.  It seemed to be locked to the rotation of the tub in both directions (I'm not sure if this is normal or not).  It was easy to spin the agitator and tub clockwise, but very difficult to spin it counter-clockwise (it felt like a brake was applied).

I've had no problems with leaks until this started to happen suddenly the other day.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: WWA7050GAL (1980s GE Filter Flo washer) leaking water from top
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 08:21:42 PM »
That machine is famous for outer tub rusting out or inner tub grinding a hole in the side of the outer tub. Try some silicone on the top gasket if you don't find any holes in the outer tub. If you do see use epoxy and foil tape on the outside to patch. There use to be a product called slap stick to repair them. Also there is the overflow tube that can cause the water to go over the tube at the bottom of the washer when they spin, I was told 40 years ago to fold over the end a few times tape it and that would seal it. Amazing it's still working.

Offline jczarn

• VIP Member
Re: WWA7050GAL (1980s GE Filter Flo washer) leaking water from top
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 01:16:14 PM »
Appreciate the advice!
There is some rust where the inner tub apparently gouged the outer tub at some point in the past, but I didn't notice any holes yet.
I was able to order an OEM top gasket inexpensively on ebay, so we'll sell how that works.
Thanks!