Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool WTW5000DW1 No low speed spin  (Read 441 times)

Offline SickofCrap

• VIP Member
Whirlpool WTW5000DW1 No low speed spin
« on: September 08, 2021, 10:22:36 PM »

< 5 year old (just out of extended warranty :'(  )  Whirlpool washer.    It tries repeatedly to enter spin cycle but each time it does, there's a clicking/grinding noise and it stops.  Then it adds more water, rinses, drains and tries again.  Eventually it stops with the clothes soaking wet.

I put it into manual test mode and much to my surprise, the high speed spin seems to work fine.  In fact everything seems OK except the low speed spin.  It starts and then cuts out.

All ideas gratefully accepted.

Offline SickofCrap

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool WTW5000DW1 No low speed spin
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 01:35:16 PM »
More on this.

The diagnostic codes indicate load balance issue, motor fault and shifter fault.  However, the motor works fine for everything except low speed spin so I assume it's OK.  When I do the low speed spin test, I can see the shifter engage and the tub starts to spin for a few seconds. Also, it works fine on high speed spin.  So, I think the shifter is OK.

So, what else?  The main control unit?

I see online that there are recommendations to check the drain filter for spin issues but I can't find a drain filter on this model.  Also, it seems to drain OK, although, I can hear a bit of water swishing in the bottom when I shift the unit.

I'm stumped.  Control units are expensive and I don't want to buy one unless I'm sure I need it.

Offline SickofCrap

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 06:47:16 PM »
I went to one of those websites where you can pay for an expert to diagnose your problem.  He recommended changing out the shifter because it's "weak". 

I don't get this.  The shifter appears to be properly engaged.  It's just that something tells the motor to stop spinning.  Is there a sensor telling the motor to stop because it's detecting something wrong?

Offline B5Bill

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 10:26:41 PM »
Would you happen to know the model number of this washing machine?