Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Would Like To Add 3/4 Ice Markers To Freezer  (Read 435 times)

Offline gtpvette

• VIP Member
Would Like To Add 3/4 Ice Markers To Freezer
« on: August 23, 2021, 12:45:28 PM »

Good afternoon,,,
  I have a smaller (17 CF) upright freezer that I use to hold bait and chum for my fishing trips. I'd like to add a number (3-4) of the Universal Ice Makers with the hope of making 60lb of so of ice to cover my weekend trips. Looks pretty straight forward for wiring, 4 wires, hot, neutral, ground plus one to activate water valve. Water value to to Ice Maker.

The question is where can I run the wires and hoses in from?? In doing some research a guy did one on a chest freezer but mentioned there was tubing holding refrigerant in the walls of the chest freezer. Do stand up freezers have anything other than insulation in the side walls?? 

Offline 100 td

• Technician
Re: Would Like To Add 3/4 Ice Markers To Freezer
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 08:31:39 PM »
Every freezer make/model is different, mullion pipes to reduce sweating go around door areas and some pipes may be in the walls as a condenser etc. See if you can find a service manual on the net that "may" have piping layout, but may not. Another option is to have a small icemaker, and bag your ice that's made twice a day into your freezer, once you have enough ice, turn it off. When you remove ice to go fishing, turn it on so it's full when you get back, and start bagging again. How much are your universal makers going to cost? Many options, here's one, no idea on quality or value, just a consideration
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224461155337

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 10:17:52 PM »
BTW, if you go down the path of a separate icemaker, don't buy the small one in the range, spend the extra few bucks on higher production rate. The limitation is the storage bin size so emptying it "X" number of times to get your desired production volume needs to be taken into account verses claimed production rate. Claimed production rate will vary wildly dependent on ambient temperature, and water temp entering the maker. If you go down this path, utilize the waste water running out of the drain into a  prechiller for the water entering the icemaker, easy to do using a small coil of copper pipe sitting in captured drain water.

Offline gtpvette

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 01:21:32 PM »
 Thanks for your thoughts. I did review a few parts manuals and looks like condenser and evaporator are both in the back.

That said it looks like I can get 4 stainless hotel pans (21"x6"x6") that will net me 80 lbs of ice,,,, gonna go that route.