Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag washer model LAT9400AAV with s/n A4115907 FR  (Read 753 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Maytag washer model LAT9400AAV with s/n A4115907 FR
« on: August 21, 2021, 01:31:36 PM »

I was given this washer at scrap price with the caution that it probably needed some significant repair. All I could find was a problem of the main belt being burned and unable to turn the wash basket when it was supposed to and teriblly loud screeching noise and smoke from the main belt. The pump belt was in decent shape. The main belt is to my knowledge Maytag # 2-11125 and i replaced it with a new one. I Followed the instructions on a video for belt replacement on this model  and started the unit up. The belt started screeching again with some smoke when the cycle came to the point of engaging the drive. I immediately turned the unit off to prevent further damage. I took the wash basket cover off and found nothing between the tub and basket, The belt instruction  video was reviewed again and the tension was checked . I cannot find a problem with the pump or its belt and the motor slides as it should on the 2 slides at the base .Has anyone had this problem before and what am I doing wrong ?

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Maytag washer model LAT9400AAV with s/n A4115907 FR
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 02:28:56 PM »
I have a couple of motors from another older Maytag washer of the same vintage and in checking them for comparison I noted that the slide at the base of the motor has 2 springs but has a provision for a 3rd spring. Does any one have any info on why  this arrangement might have been used ? Would this possibly be useful in putting more tension on the belt to prevent slippage and burning ?

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 03:36:47 PM »
In doing more checking it was noted that the transmission assembly in this unit could NOT be turned by hand from the underside of the drum. Another similar unit with model number LAT8414AAL can be turned by hand. Also  this other unit has a 1/2 HP motor as compared to the LAT 9400 which has a 1/3 HP motor. IT would appear that the transmission in this unit or other parts of the drum/bearing assembly are causing extra drag not allowing it to function properly . If anyone can provide additional info regarding this unit and the problems noted it would be greatly appreciated

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »
To further define and possibly fix the problem mentioned in a previous entry I took a spring from the base of another  identical type drive motor and added it to the base of this unit for a total of 3 instead of 2 for more tension on the slide portion of the motor. I also turned the washer up on its back and squirted WD40 up into the brake assembly. I tried to remove the complete brake assembly but it requires a spanner I dont have . If anyone can advise where I can get this spanner as it is apparently not available from Maytag it would be greatly appreciated. Results will be published later ..

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 01:30:25 AM »
The previous attempt to correct the problem did not improve the situation so I will probably have to replace the brake assembly and the bearing/seal  . Next problem is to get the spanner or a chain wrench to dismantle this bottom end. The parts are available thru my local dealer but fairly expensive.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 03:35:35 PM »
Assuming I can get the brake assembly off the shaft of this washer how can i test or evaluate it ? There is a decal on the face warning  that there is a preload of at least 200 pounds involved . If the brake assembly has a series of internal springs I would presume  an arbor press or some other compression fixture would need to be used to hold the cover while the small screws are  being removed. If the cover can be safely removed what  does the inside consist of and what will likely be worn or damaged to prevent the transmission from rotating when it should ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 02:37:44 PM »
I borrowed the special spanner wrench from my dealer and removed the brake assembly. Using long 8-32 screws I was able to dismantle the brake and found nothing wrong inside. It has a large coil spring and a cone shaped  disc  inside  with  facing material on the cone surface. It was put back together and reinstalled on the shaft. If this does not work the next area to attack is the drum bearing on top of the transmission/under the drum. Never seize was used on the large thread  of the brake assembly and it really is a 2 person job to get the large thread started. As the main belt is already damaged from previous attempts I may have to get a new belt to test this unit.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 03:43:21 PM »
Included hopefully are a few pictures of the special spanner wrench p/n 038315  to take the brake assembly off the old type design washer. The material is about 3/8" thick plate with tabs at 3 places. It works well .

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 09:55:30 AM »
Doesn't turn in spin? Tub bearing and stem kit. Doesn't turn in agitation mode? Top transmission bearing. I never had a brake fail other than squealing as stops. These are very simple machines.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »
I will replace the tub bearing next. I cannot turn the transmission  by hand even with a lot of force.