Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Need Help with GE Profile CYE22USHESS Ice Maker  (Read 1194 times)

Offline tperk100

• VIP Member
Need Help with GE Profile CYE22USHESS Ice Maker
« on: August 16, 2021, 11:55:57 AM »

Icemaker / Dispenser works for the most part, but every few days I have to remove the bin and chip or melt off the melted and re-frozen cubes, frozen to the front inside of the bin. Pic attached of one cube frozen to the bin. When dispenser slows down, there are usually around ten melted together cubes.

Donít know if this matters, but there is always a small amount of ice around the outside of the bin door seal, as if it might not be sealing tightly. This ice line is at the most ľ inch wide. Pic attached, but no ice at the moment.

It takes effort to open and close bin doorÖ.not like somethings loose. Rubber seal looks OK, but wonder if it should be replaced.

Help fixing this will be appreciated.

Offline 100 td

• Technician
Re: Need Help with GE Profile CYE22USHESS Ice Maker
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 09:02:15 PM »
Hopefully someone else can comment on this but I will offer an generic check. Check the water pressure reducer and water valve nozzle outlet. If water is spraying when filling water may splash and drip into the bin, which then freezes the existing cubes together, same for leaks/seals/ice build up. Not necessarily the problem, but worth a check, it's imperative that there is no stray water going anywhere. Completely emptying and drying everything and putting back into operation and then checking for any water in the bin or around the icemaker after it's filled with water is worthwhile. YMMV.

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 09:35:25 PM »
I probably should have mentioned, as there is ice forming on the door and possibly running down into bin, check for alignment of door, i.e., any twist in it etc. I donít know your machine, so just another generic check.

Offline tperk100

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 08:57:06 PM »
Hey Tech,
Thanks.

Today I was able to watch the tray fill through a small opening. There IS a small amount of water splashing around and missing the tray. So now am trying to determine next step.

Offline tperk100

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 12:51:25 PM »
Have determined that, when tray fills, water is splashing / spraying outside of tray, Including into the ice bin. I can see this happening when the tray fills. Clearly this is the problem. But what is the fix?

From what I can see, without dismantling, it does not appear that there is any obstruction to the tray water fill ďport.Ē  The water flow into the tray does appear to be a little inconsistent, varying in strength and amount, and I can see water  thatís not going into the tray.

Is it possible or likely that the solenoid or the water pressure could be causing this? Seems unlikely to me.

Donít know if this is important, but we have no water filter installed, just the bypass plug. This is because our water is supplied by our distiller.

Appreciate any help.

Offline tperk100

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 02:42:34 PM »
Ignore my last post or two. Here is update.

Icemaker / Dispenser works for the most part, but every few days I have to remove the bin and chip or melt off the melted and re-frozen cubes, frozen to the front inside of the bin.

Have determined that, when tray fills, water is either not 100% directed to tray or maybe tray is leaking, donít know. I can see this happening when the tray fills. I see water dripping from ice maker.  Clearly this is the problem. But what is the fix?

Removed ice maker to check fill cup for ice /obstruction / cracks etc. All looked OK.

Iím stumped. Appreciate any help.

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 03:50:29 AM »
Couple of options to consider.
Reduce water flow to fridge at tap/valve, you don't need to fill a glass like a fire hydrant.
This could also be achieved in conjunction with a pressure reducing valve.
Installing a filter, may also limit flow slightly.
These 2 options may or maynot  reduce the splashing.
Installation of a plastic shield to reduce splashing as a last resort.
YMMV

Offline tperk100

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 10:41:25 AM »

Thanks for your reaponse. Do you see altering pressure or flow as a soution when the icemaker and distiller pump pressure have been OK for 5 years?

Also what do you mean by a plastic shield?

Thanks again.

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 11:53:24 PM »
Quote from: 100 td
Check the water pressure reducer and water valve nozzle outlet. If water is spraying when filling water may splash and drip into the bin, which then freezes the existing cubes together, ....it's imperative that there is no stray water going anywhere.
Quote from: tperk100
water is splashing / spraying outside of tray, Including into the ice bin. Clearly this is the problem.
The water flow into the tray does appear to be a little inconsistent, varying in strength and amount. Is it possible or likely that the solenoid or the water pressure could be causing this? Seems unlikely to me.
Quote from: 100 td
Reduce water flow to fridge at tap/valve
Quote from: tperk100
Do you see altering pressure or flow as a soution when the icemaker and distiller pump pressure have been OK for 5 years?
By doing tests and checks one may arrive at a solution, eg., diaphragm in solenoid valve bad, or something else.
I don't come here to upgrade my typing skills. Test how you want, analyze your results and effect a solution.