Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool fridge transportation  (Read 539 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Whirlpool fridge transportation
« on: July 22, 2021, 07:46:03 AM »

I have just moved an 8 year old whirlpool fridge and it had to be laid down for transport.This is a top freezer type unit and I have been told that it should  not be plugged back in until it has been put back up in the normal operating position for about 24 hours. I am asking other techs what time interval should I observe before I plug it back in for normal operation. It was laid  down for about 8 hours. Any other precautions I should  observe ?Help !

Offline 100 td

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool fridge transportation
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 09:25:32 PM »
A couple of hours should be fine, you are wanting oil to migrate back to dome so it doesn't starve. Biggest problem with horizontal transport, especially if in a trailer, is the compressor jumps out of or breaks it's mounts internally or snaps the high side line.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool fridge transportation
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 09:51:35 AM »
We allowed the unit to be in the upright position for about 36 hours before plugging it back into the 110 volt supply. It seems to be working fine and cooling well.