Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG washer - WM2301HR - No Power  (Read 9746 times)

Offline Rob2000

• VIP Member
LG washer - WM2301HR - No Power
« on: July 25, 2015, 08:51:10 PM »

Our washing machine has no power.  No lights on the display panel.  No LED on the main board.  No lights etc. when spinning the washer by hand (it would have otherwise lit up and sang a tune). 

My wife tells me that a couple times it had "gone crazy" and the controls would flash different things, but never a recognizable code; by unplugging and plugging back in everything would go back to normal.  But more often than that it would go dead, and it would be fine after unplugging it and plugging it back in.  I wish I had reacted when she told me about it before...maybe I will learn for next time.

I read on this board to check the noise/power filter before changing the main board.  I had no voltage coming out of it; so I replaced it.  I now get power through the filter (measured by pulling red plug on the filter and getting 120V on the top and bottom connectors).  However, still no apparent power anywhere else (I did not measure it anywhere, just no lights etc.).  I checked the main board, and the LED was not lit either).

So, the next thing in line would be to replace the main board right?  Well, I checked another place and someone had changed it and 5 minutes later, a short in the pump fried their new board (~$150).  I don't want to change it twice!

So...what things could potentially cause the power filter and main board to both die?  I would like to know what and how to test before I throw $150 at it.
1) what things could cause such a failure of the noise filter and main board?
2) how can I test them before replacing the board?
3) did the intermittent "crazy" behavior of the control panel indicate the control panel was bad too?  If not, what could that have meant?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

As a side note...how do electronic companies get away with putting $0.50 fuses embedded in $150 boards?  It seems to me this is a dirty move to make everything disposable. 20-30 years ago you would find cheap plastic holders inline with the wires that would allow you to replace them.  I feel like starting a movement, but will need a good acronym.  Best I have is Consumers for Reparable Appliance Parts (CRAP); any thoughts?

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Re: LG washer - WM2301HR - No Power
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:09:32 PM »
Good luck with C.R.A.P. 

As for the machine, you will need to ohm out the drain pump circuit to see if there is a short in the circuit. If so, replace the drain pump.  Also check the water valve circuits and the door latch circuits for any shorts as well.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 02:15:26 AM »
<<< Our washing machine has no power.  No lights on the display panel.  No LED on the main board. >>>

Indicates a failed Main Board (and sometimes a failed Noise Filter as well)

<<< a couple times it had "gone crazy" and the controls would flash different things, but never a recognizable code; by unplugging and plugging back in everything would go back to normal. >>>

Another indication that the Main Board is damaged.

In many cases---there's a noticeable spark when the washer is plugged in again (sometimes an ozone odor is present)

<<<I read on this board to check the noise/power filter before changing the main board.  I had no voltage coming out of it; so I replaced it.  I now get power through the filter (measured by pulling red plug on the filter and getting 120V on the top and bottom connectors).  However, still no apparent power anywhere else (I did not measure it anywhere, just no lights etc.).  I checked the main board, and the LED was not lit either).>>>

Further evidence of a "dead" Main Board

<<< So, the next thing in line would be to replace the main board right? >>>

Yes

<<< Well, I checked another place and someone had changed it and 5 minutes later, a short in the pump fried their new board (~$150). >>>

That would be uncharacteristic and highly unusual---in an LG washer.

Almost *never* occurs.

The symptoms though (losing power/erratic control panel behavior/needing to unplug/re-plug)---are common enough to be recognized by anyone that is familiar with LG front load washers.

<<< I wish I had reacted when she told me about it before...maybe I will learn for next time. >>>

When the erratic behavior symptoms first materialized---the Main Board was already failing/compromised.

Acting sooner/earlier *might* have saved the Noise Filter.

This symptoms you've described---are usually caused by a failing/shorting relay on the Main Board (intermittent function)

<<< As a side note...how do electronic companies get away with putting $0.50 fuses embedded in $150 boards?  It seems to me this is a dirty move to make everything disposable. >>>

The rubberized coating on the Main Board---protects the components from moisture and continuous exposure to vibration (spin cycles)

Without it---the life expectancy would be reduced (moisture damage/capacitors shaking/breaking off)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:18:56 AM by john63 »

Offline Rob2000

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 09:10:29 PM »
Thanks for the detailed answers.

I have now replaced the noise filter ($43), measured no power before; measured power now!
Replaced the main board ($170), was not getting red light or anything else; now shows signs of life!  Get the red light, can start washing cycles.

However, now I get a strange sound when the motor is turning.  A grinding sound at one point, and then as if it is misfiring, or the sound of a slipping gear (direct drive so no gears, but that is the best I can describe it).  2-4 clicks per second.  It did a few of the half-turns while filling with water and adding soap.  And then did the clicking/grinding/thing when it seamed to be speeding up.   fearing loss of another board, I shut it down.

One thing I hadn't checked before was the hall sensor.  The service manual said 8-12 kohms from 1-2 and 1-3.  One was dead on 10 kohms.  The other seemed inconsistent and high.  20-60 kohms.  I was not 100% sure i had the leads in good, but swapped back and forth and repeated with the 1-2 and 1-3 pins.

I hadn't done the voltage check on the hall sensor since the main board was bad. 

Is the hall sensor bad? Do I need to do the voltage checks to know?

I checked the ohms on the motor and all in were in range.

Is it time to give up and call a tech?

Thank you again!

[attachment auto deleted after 5 years by admin]

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 09:26:18 PM »
What is the Serial Number?

Offline Rob2000

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 09:35:06 PM »
910KWJU03452

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 10:09:07 PM »
Built October 2009.

Verify that the replacement Main Board is the correct one for your washer build-date.

Correct Main Board (EBR32268007)

Incorrect Main Board (EBR32268014)---is used on WM2301 models built from December 2009 and newer---Serial Numbers beginning with 912KWxxx

Offline Rob2000

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 10:21:43 PM »
No, they gave me EBR32268019...

Offline Rob2000

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 10:27:46 PM »
I bought at a local appliance store.

Looks like this matches the part number on repairclinic.com; the online place did not ask to specify a serial number or date built.

Could not find on applianceparts.com

original was EBR32268007

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 10:44:38 PM »
No other parts/components were replaced previously?

If the STATOR and ROTOR are original---then the EBR32268019 Main Board *should* be the correct replacement (info on LG website)

There are differences in software ---in Main Boards built Dec 2009 and newer

Since the washer is about 5 years old---I would replace the Motor Wire Harness (6877ER1016F)

This harness moves/bends/stretches during every cycle (especially spin cycles)

And are prone to developing internal wire failure---broken strands of wiring.

Symptoms frequently seen are...

1) Growling noise

2) Tub rotates haltingly/stops

3) "0" character displayed during spin cycle

4) Intermittent "LE" error displayed/interrupted cycle

5) Clothing very wet at end of cycle

Offline Rob2000

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 11:00:29 PM »
Nothing else has ever been replaced/repaired.  Never noticed any of the 5 before it went dead.  But now have the growling/"haltingly" motion of the drum.

in previous post:
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=8065.msg38198#msg38198

you had suggested a hall sensor for a "growling" sound.  Since the ohms didn't line up, should I replace the hall sensor too? 

Is the harness you mentioned for the motor or hall sensor or both?  Wonder if I damaged a wire pulling it out?

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 11:06:09 PM »
If you are ordering the Motor Wire Harness...

Get  the Hall Effect Sensor as well

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-rotor-position-sensor-6501kw2002a-ap4440680.html

The Motor Wire Harness connects to this sensor

Although all Hall Effect Sensors built *after* 2008 are virtually indestructible---I have seen ONE that did fail (built 2009)

Good insurance to replace both.

Testing these components to confirm "good" or "dud" status---is fickle at best and a waste of time.

As a rule---when servicing LG front load washers---it's best to replace the Drain Motor and Motor Wire Harness every 60 months---all other components can be diagnosed/tested/verified "good" or "failed"---if the need arises.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 11:13:21 PM »
Nothing else has ever been replaced/repaired.  Never noticed any of the 5 before it went dead.  But now have the growling/"haltingly" motion of the drum.

in previous post:
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=8065.msg38198#msg38198

you had suggested a hall sensor for a "growling" sound.  Since the ohms didn't line up, should I replace the hall sensor too? 

Is the harness you mentioned for the motor or hall sensor or both?  Wonder if I damaged a wire pulling it out?

Hall Effect Sensors built 2008 and older were very prone to resistor failure ("burned out") when the incorrect type or amount of laundry detergent is used.

LG improved the Hall Sensors in all LG washers after 2008.

The resistor is MUCH larger.

Virtually "bulletproof"

The likelihood/possibility of a failed Hall Sensor in any LG front load washer built 2009 and newer---is practically unheard of.

I've personally had ONE that did fail.

Since the cost of this sensor is reasonable---it makes sense to replace it along with the Wire Harness

<<< Is the harness you mentioned for the motor or hall sensor or both? >>>

Both

Offline Rob2000

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 11:18:13 PM »
The local store only had the hall sensor and not the harness.  So I changed just the hall sensor.

I rechecked the old sensor after I took it out to make sure I had good contact with the pins.  One pair had 10Kohms and 40-80kohms on the other; well out of spec...so it was bad.

Put it back together and first load (with blankets) worked fine!!!

So all together 43+170+22 + tax ~ $250.  I think it was about 900 sticker price and we got it for about 600+tax/delivery ~$700 total 5 years ago. So, about 700/5=$140/yr for the 1st 5.  If the fix works for 250/140= 1.8 yrs then it was worth it.

It took 4 trips to the parts store.   Yes, three parts four trips.  The first time I asked for a main powerboard; my mother-in-law picked it up, they sent home a display panel-so i had to go back the next day, late to work, and get the right board (no I am not blaming my mother-in-law).  And about a week altogether between deciding what to do one evening, trying to get the parts locally the next, etc. If I new all parts to get the first time I would have ordered online so that I could return if they weren't needed. 

My suggestion to anyone else who has similar problems is to check all the available troubleshooting measurements you can the first time.

John, thanks for all of your help and effort.  I couldn't have done it without you!!!

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »
Good job:)

Offline Udon

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 12:50:31 PM »
I know I am necro posting on my 1st post but I have the exact same model and just developed the exact same issues.
My noise filter has continuity and power but the fuse on the mainboard does not.
I got the same 12A 125V Time Delay fuse and added it but still no power however I am getting a smell from the yellow plug (relay?) to the right of the fuse when plugged in so perhaps that died.
My door boot seal has a leak (poor design on LG's part using those squeeze clamps on the drain right under the seal as they cut into it) but the drain pump has continuity and the wires wrapped in plastic directly under the boot drain are in good shape as well.
A new board is $300CDN and a boot is $100 so I am hoping I will get many more years out of this machine if I replace them or should I cut my losses & put that $400 towards a new machine?  :-\