Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Speed Queen Top Load Washer - Model #AWN412SP111TW01  (Read 1802 times)

Offline cseitz71690

• VIP Member
Speed Queen Top Load Washer - Model #AWN412SP111TW01
« on: July 19, 2021, 09:40:40 AM »

Hello,

So I have a nice speed queen washer that is now making a very loud firecracker kind of sound during the spin cycle. Also when I open the lid during the spin cycle, it is spinning very slowly which I'm sure is why the clothes are soaking wet when the cycle finishes.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind this issue and what I would need to purchase in order to repair this? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

***I am currently working on uploading the short video clip I have of the loud sound.***

Offline cseitz71690

• VIP Member
Re: Speed Queen Top Load Washer - Model #AWN412SP111TW01
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 11:38:51 AM »
I am unsure how to edit the above post but I am unable to post the video since it is larger than 5000k. It is only a 6 second video so I am not sure why it will not attach. Sorry guys, I figured a video would be much more helpful to diagnose this issue. :(

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 01:40:08 PM »
Hi
Please post your video on YouTube then share the YouTube link with us.

Thanks

Offline cseitz71690

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 03:08:12 PM »
Hi
Please post your video on YouTube then share the YouTube link with us.

Thanks

Thanks for the help AJ!

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nONqvNCQMQ

Offline cseitz71690

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 12:57:41 PM »
Does anyone have any helpful information on this washer? And possibly a link to a part number that I can purchase? Thanks in advance! :)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 02:59:09 PM »
If you have not already done so, You need to dismantle the dryer starting with the wash basket .  This is not an easy job and takes a few special  tools.  another possibility is to remove the belt and the pump  and check for damage . It sounds like the problem is in the brake rotor area but this is just a guess. Be prepared for some expensive repair cost.

there is video on U tube showing how to dismantle  this unit

Offline cseitz71690

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 11:54:45 AM »
If you have not already done so, You need to dismantle the dryer starting with the wash basket .  This is not an easy job and takes a few special  tools.  another possibility is to remove the belt and the pump  and check for damage . It sounds like the problem is in the brake rotor area but this is just a guess. Be prepared for some expensive repair cost.

there is video on U tube showing how to dismantle  this unit

Hi Thorning,

Thanks for your help! I plan on repairing this myself so I am hoping to locate the exact problem. Once I tear it apart I will post back here and keep you updated. I just want to make sure I am ordering the correct parts based on the diagnosis. :)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 02:47:07 PM »
I am in the midst of working on an Amana washer Model number LWA50AW with the  the exact same noise problem that this person has  described and recorded  and sent a video of the noise . I had changed the belt  and it started to work OK but all of a sudden when it came to the spin portion of the cycle  it started making this same terrible loud noise. I managed to get the belt off  and cannot see any problem with the brake  and the entire transmission spins freely.  I have never had this show up before and wondered if anyone can advise me on the source before I do  a lot more teardown work.  By the way this Amana unit has a 3/4 HP motor and it is  not one I have ever seen before . I put a capacitor on the motor start winding which the Speed Queen units with a 1/2 Hp  use  on all the current models. This gave the motor a little more starting power !

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 09:59:18 AM »
Today I took the pump/motor assembly off  this Amana unit and tipped the machine over on its back for better access to the brake pads and rotor. Nothing was observed to be broken or worn. I then took some solvent to clean the pads and rotor thoroughly  and let it dry . The motor was put back in place and the unit started into a cycle. The result was the same. A terrible rat tat tat noise when it started to attempt to spin. The transmission and tub bearings are not seized.  The pump is working properly and it pumps out the water. I am at a loss on this one and am looking for advise from anyone?

Offline 100 td

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 11:59:59 PM »
Possibly underwire from bra under the drum
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 12:02:58 AM by 100 td »

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 06:19:19 AM »
No women live here or use this washer but I will keep a lookout for metal trapped in the insides of the unit if and when I tear it apart.

Offline HerbG

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 07:59:28 PM »
Your problem sounds like the drive pulley is riding up and over the drive gear (helix) during the spin operation.  When the drive pulley is spinning in the agitate direction it drives down the drive gear creating agitation and not applying pressure to the brake assembly.  When the pulley spins in the spin direction it rides up the drive gear thus applying pressure to the brake assembly releasing the brake so that the tub can spin. The vertical dimension is critical to the operation of the brake. The drive pulley and drive gear (helix) have been upgraded to the commercial parts (Alliance kit 204486). Hope this helps.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 08:54:16 PM »
Nothing was noted to be significantly worn or broken when I looked at all of the parts although I did not take it completely apart yet. If this part was replaced by a different type as mentioned should there be some worn or damaged parts ?

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 12:20:49 PM »
This date I discussed this noise problem with a Speed Queen service person at the factory and he suggests the problem is in the Heiix parts under the pulley due to wear  .For this reason  a new part was introduced and he said it was highly recommended that these new parts be installed. It consists of a new pulley with  helix attached and a new helix mating part and a washer. These part numbers are 204486, 38008, and 27015.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 10:39:52 AM »
This unit had several other problems that made it too expensive to repair and it was scrapped.