Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Speed Queen gas dryer model AGM639 L with s/n S 6489867YK  (Read 814 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Speed Queen gas dryer model AGM639 L with s/n S 6489867YK
« on: June 28, 2021, 01:13:47 PM »

I was given this older model dryer for possible repair. it is good condition considering it is about 30 years old. When it was given to me  I was told it would not run or heat. The limiting t-stat on the burner tube was damaged  by someone who tried to remove it incorrectly. I replaced it. The door switch was also not working properly and it has been replaced also. I can get it to run the drum/blower motor  by temporarily supplying 110 volt at  a red and a white wire terminal on the timer but no heat. The timer motor is OK as it is advancing the dial. I have checked all the usual items  including the ignitor but  no success. The solenoid coils are slightly warm to the touch .According to the factory the timer (502967) is no longer available. I suspect this is the problem item. I also asked the factory for help in getting a schematic but they said they did not have one. Does anyone have a schematic for this machine or a source for a replacement timer ?

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
Re: Speed Queen gas dryer model AGM639 L with s/n S 6489867YK
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 07:54:46 AM »
Is the radiant switch closed I have them go open so no 120 to igniter

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 07:56:44 AM »
I will recheck  and possibly replace it.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 01:26:57 PM »
After more testing I found the flame sensor was bad as was the ignitor. This particular version of ignitor was the tubular type but I was able to replace it with a flat blade type. After  more delicate work I was able to make things fit and got it to fire up OK. These older units are made to last but sometimes it is a PITA to make things fit and work. I am going to replace the gas valve solenoids also before I close things up.